Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm glad I bashed my head tonight

Tonight I challenged the gym. It has been exactly one month since something went "squeak" - "scream!" in my abdominal region, which subsequently led to a month of continual back pain.

I need to go back, for my back as strange as that may seem. I originally began weight training to build core strength in my abs and my back because the pain I had from residual herniated disc injury was really getting to me, and I wanted to eliminate it. Ten years later, I found that the gym works perfectly for that, but I must keep it up or the back starts to ache as the muscles get weaker.

So staying away from the gym because my back aches and my abs have sharp pain when I use them only exacerbates the back pain.

Tonight I cut back the weights on everything to 50% of my last workout because I wanted to test every exercise to see what I could and couldn't do. I found some exercises I absolutely cannot do, even when there is a measly 1kg of tension (anything that engages the abs). I found some exercises that if I am very careful, stick to very light, and go very slow, although I can feel a bit of pain down there, it is manageable (tricep work - who would have thought that working your triceps engages your abs, but believe me, it does! And in a very powerful way). And I found some exercises that I can do with no problem (leg work). Situps and planks are impossible right now, so the mat work is not possible, nor is the rolling wheel that gave me rippling 6 pack abs and built the strength in my back and stomach so I could avoid back pain.

We will see how my body reacts tomorrow, but the back is extremely tired tonight. It hurts to sit down. I'm off to bed very soon.

I decided to eat out, so went to my tonkatsu restaurant next door... and they have gone out of business! *SHOCK!!!* So that means now I have to come home and cook and eat dinner at 11pm after working out. Cleaning up at midnight is not so pleasant, and there is not enough time to do it in the morning.

Then on my way into the train I bashed my head on the door jam.
Right in front of an attractive woman.
She looked back to see if I was OK, and while I was rubbing my head to get rid of the pain, I smiled and shook my head. She laughed. I knew she wanted to laugh, because for my entire life, whenever I smash my head, even though people know how much it hurts as I usually am rolling around on the floor cursing and holding my head, they try to keep themselves from laughing. But they laugh.

Ask yourself this: when you see some tall person you know bash their head, in spite of the fact that you know it hurts, and you shouldn't laugh, and you know that laughing only makes the bashed head feel worse... don't you have big difficulty NOT laughing? Now you may say "I don't laugh", but I have seen EVERYONE and I mean every single person (even my Mom) laugh when I hit my head! There has never been a single person who has not had serious trouble keeping a straight face when I bash my head.

On the way out of the train I caught up to her up the stairs and we chatted for a bit about me hitting my head, "my japanese being so good...." etc. etc. etc. and then we said good night and left the station in opposite directions. I even mentioned to her that she probably wanted to laugh even though she knew she shouldn't, and she agreed. *SIGH*

I am very glad I bashed my head because it gave me the chance to meet someone new, and chat with them for a few minutes while leaving the station. It also gave her the chance to laugh and feel good. It was worth it. I love making people feel good. And the conversation that ensued was light, friendly, and full of good cheer.

Good night everyone.

I love you!
Cam

4 comments:

  1. Ha! You saw an opening to hit on a chick ;-)
    Shudda got her name and the digits yo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you’ve heard about the cat on the railroad track? A train came by and cut off its tail which flew high into the sky and landed on the adjacent tracks. The cat rushed over to get its tail but another train came by and cut off its head.
    The moral over the story? Don’t lose your head over a piece of tail.
    Happy New Year Cam and all the very best throughout 2011.
    Lotsa luv!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Trudy! I neither got her name, nor her digits. And she did not get my digit, either!

    ReplyDelete