Monday, February 14, 2011

ONE CENTIMETER!!

Coming from Canada, and Fukui, I read this news and shake my head.
All I can say is, "This. is. insane... "

***************************

Over 60 injured in snow-related accidents in Tokyo, vicinity
Tuesday 15th February, 12:32 PM JST

TOKYO —
More than 60 people have sustained injuries including broken bones in
Tokyo and its vicinity since Monday night, when a relatively heavy
snowfall blanketed the metropolitan area, authorities said Tuesday.

The snow also led to delays and cancellations of JR trains in the
metropolitan area including those on the Sobu Line, affecting more
than 100,000 passengers, the operator said. Some outbound JR
Shinkansen bullet trains were also delayed.

The number of people wounded came to at least 43 in Tokyo and 21 in
Saitama Prefecture, firefighters and government officials said, noting
many sustained injuries after slipping and falling.

Downtown Tokyo had 1 centimeter of snow as of 5 a.m. while Yokohama
had 2 cm, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. As much as 25 cm fell
at Lake Kawaguchi in Yamanashi Prefecture, southwest of Tokyo.

Read the comments here:
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/over-60-injured-in-snow-related-accidents-in-tokyo-vicinity

9 comments:

  1. Are you shittin me????

    A centimeter?

    What's WRONG with those people?

    *head->desk*

    ReplyDelete
  2. spoken like a true canadian *chuckles*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious, you called it though in an earlier blog that women would be slipping due to the wrong shoes....

    I mean, really they have some of the smartest engineers and IQ's in the world but a centimeter of snow shuts down the town? We had that much last month in ARIZONA on a random RARE day and amazingly everyone was fine and life went on. I wonder though if the snow birds were a little confused if they were still North and East.... but at least they know what to do with snow. Can't say the same about sunny weather.. tho... that seems to be what makes them forget how to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well here's my question - in Tokyo and vicinity... how many people typically sustain broken bones in a day due to falls and such?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cam, I laughed my socks off when Shane (hermit, my hubby) showed me this earlier today. For once we can't laugh and yell "only in America!", lol! I hope you don't mind... as it's open to everyone I'm linking this on my blog. Too good to not share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just looked at my ruler. too funny. 1 cm is about a half inch. but is all fairness, 25 is almost 10 inches. that's a lot of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even sure what to say. *shakes head*

    *waves to da Mousie*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mousey - Be my guest! Share to the world, and make everyone laugh as much as I did. I love you!

    Tape - The 25cm is in the mountains, though, so as "real snowfall" goes, it's not terribly much. Now when we get up into the 3-4 metres, then you're talking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jaime - These injuries were all snow-related injuries. *chuckling*

    ReplyDelete