Monday, October 10, 2011

Fw:KaiKiKan - An old Japanese Inn


"KaiKiKan" (海喜館). That's the name on the old signboard outside this tranquil spot that I pass by every morning on the way to work. It catches my eye because of the warm, refreshing, energizing feeling that emanates from between the gates. The green moss and the shade among the trees looks cool and relaxing when the sweat trickles down my neck and back as I exit the subway station and make the five minute walk along steaming concrete to my office.

This morning I decided to take a short detour to see what it was like inside the decaying walls of this spot that is located tranquilly next to the Meguro River in Gotanda.

At the office I did a bit of research on the net for some information about this run down building which turns out to be a pre-war ryokan or Japanese inn that has survived through the decades. I couldn't find a lot about the history of this inn, however I did find a blog (that wasn't blocked at the office) and will include the link here. http://hanaiti.fc2web.com/060501.html The information is in Japanese, and it is someone's opinion about their experience staying there. However if you scroll down to just a little past halfway, you will find the same photo I have included in this post. From there, you can take a look at what the inside of this venerable Japanese in looks like and see how "old Japan" (well, modern old), used to look in its heyday (sorry, no singing geisha).

I realize that I have actually stayed in ryokan around Japan that are also from this generation as the interior is very similar to what I have experienced. For those of you who like something a little more modern (modern toilets, non-stained, no cigarette-burned carpeting, baths that fit a modern-sized body, this may not be for you. But if you like to experience a certain period of Japan and feel what it really was like while immersing yourself into the building and the culture of that time, spending a night, enjoying a dinner and ambiance may be the ticket for you.

This spot is beautiful to look at on the way to work; it really gives one a sense of peace and tranquility. And in this day of hectic work routine that is filled with pressure to speed up the process, it can help develop an inner peace to start a busy, hectic day.

I love you!
Cam

9 comments:

  1. Jeez... I could do with a few ryokans dotted here and there between work and home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ken. It's interesting but over on my WordPress blog that's how spammers try to get you to approve them these days; through praising the site and content. They have come up with some pretty ingenious impersonal phrases that can be taken personally by the blog owner if not careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh snap!!!!

    I get that on my WordPress, too.

    Now if I see a compliment, I take a look at the email address and then look at the url to their linked site and if it looks spammy, the comment doesn't get approved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is EXACTLY what I do. Unfortunately nearly 100% of the compliments have spammy addresses! Boo hoo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a piece on the fast food chain two years ago and it's pretty much the ONLY post that still gets 100% real comments - usually people abusing me for what I said in there.

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete