Saturday, December 3, 2011

Seeking Serenity, A Prologue: Rikugi-en

It's time to make another serenity video for you folks and tonight is the night because we are heading off to a park that has illumination for December, not for Christmas, but for December. The last night is tonight but it looks like it's going to be fantastic. So here's a little history for you about Rikugi-en:

 

Rikugi-en has been counted as one of two excellent gardens of the Edo period together with Koishikawa Koraku-en. 

 

The garden was built by Mr. Yoshiyasu Yanagisawa, a famous favorite of the fifth Shogun Tunayoshi Tokugawa , as his villa in 1702. 

 

This garden is a typical Daimyo garden called a Kaiyuu pond garden with hills and ponds. Because the land had been on a corner of the flat Musashino, he dug a pond and made hills. 

 

The name, Rikugi-en, came from "six elements of Waka poems" that had been derived from "six styles of poems" written in the old Chinese poetry book "Mao-shi". 

 

In this garden, a big pond with some islands is surrounded by trees and offering imitations of famous Japanese beautiful spots such as Wakanoura in Kishuu(Wakayama Prefecture). 

 

The garden became the property of Iwasaki family of Mitsubishi group and was contributed to Tokyo city and opened to the public in 1938. Rikugi-en was appointed as special beauty spot of Japan in 1953.    


I Love You!
Cam

3 comments:

  1. I've just researched images of the Tokyo Rikugi-en garden and it looks serene, magical, bright. I hope you will post photos of your evening and the lights. Peace and light to you this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I posted the video to my YouTube Channel this past weekend at www.youtube.com/camswitzer but have not had time to link it to any of my sites. I also need to upload the photos I took on my iPhone but again I haven't had time to do any personal computing this week. Sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I uploaded my Rikugi-en photos to my Flickr channel. If you go to Flickr and search for cam Switzer and Rikugi-en you should find them.

    I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete