Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Sweet" Dreams


Since I have been consuming a very low amount of carbohydrates for the past ten years along with supplementing with YES supplement's correct blend of parent essential oils (Essentia Fatty Acids or EFAs) my body has become quite sensitive to the insulin spike that goes with the body trying to deal with sugars (Carbs).

I have done so much experimenting with foods and my body's response that I pretty much know what will happen when I consume certain kinds of carbs.

Take this one beer that I am pointing at for example. Beer is very high carb... the equivalent of eight tsp of sugar. Did you know your blood sugar is regulated strictly at about ONE tsp for the entire 4L of blood? Yep. Anything above that and you can die so the body protects you by pumping out insulin to remove the sugar before it enters the blood. How? It turns it to bodyfat. It makes you fat to save your life.

Now, after 10years I can drink very little beer compared to the earlier years. In most cases I simply dont want it. But if I DO drink it, it affects my mood by making me snarky. It affects my motor skills (one SMALL glass!), I get very dehydrated, my sleep is disrupted, I have bizarre insulin dreams and I wake up the next morning with cotton mouth.

Eating pasta has a completely different effect on me. Rice is again entirely different, and so on.

Did you ever stop to realize that food is actually a VERY powerful "hormone" that affects your body in a myriad of ways? Most people dont even realize that their moods are directly connected to the foods they eat. Go to Starbucks and watch a pair of calm, happy children consume a frappuccino and you will see exactly what I am saying. It happens to you and to me, too.

So the next time you are feeling irritated, sarcastic and grouchy just take a minute to step out of yourself and view you from a third person perspective. The chances are high that its not your partner, kids, friends who did something to piss you off, but rather your very own mood shift due to the carbohydrates you recently consumed.

I can say that I know for certain Stefnee and Jenny react this way on carbs, as do I. Check yourself and what you eat; you might just get a rude self-awakening.

Time to go home to weird dreams... Im having trouble typing already.

I love you!

Cam

12 comments:

  1. But you also had a tasty pork cutlet! yum.... (at least is what it looks like!)

    While I would generally agree that the chemical makeup of food does cause the body to have a reaction (one that we've trained ourselves to ignore, and I think many people have grown up with crossed wiring, so to speak) you can't discount people's feelings about food. Many people have associated that spin-up with a good feeling because of their education. It's hard to separate how the food is affecting our bodies versus what our emotions are telling us...

    It is super scary how the additives in food are so addictive though, isn't it?

    I still remember how Small Thing went from having a decent attitude to spun up and bouncing off the walls in the 360 cafe when we first met up in Tokyo. Woooosh!

    Though, uh, in regards to the beer, I hafta say I really enjoyed having an Ebisu Dark during the Octoberfest on base!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can guarantee you it won`t be the carbs I ate about eight hours ago, it`ll the hours I work and the numpties I have to deal with that get me feeling irritated, sarcastic and grouchy, Cam. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the strangest dreams all night.... the last one I had was about going for a walk in the forest, heading toward the sea, knowing I had to go over a small mountain. Suddenly there were groups of other hikers, dressed to mountain climb. The next thing I knew is that one tall, blonde european guy (from Holland I think) was pushing me in my wheelchair through tons of snow, telling me with tears in his voice how he had just come back from the mountains where he had lost his boyfriend. They were climbing, and suddenly the snow came in. His boyfriend was short (5'5), and not tall like us, so when they were walking, the wind swirling between them caused eddies and drifts in the snow which made it very hard for him to walk. So, they bedded down for the night to wait out the storm and in the morning his boyfriend was gone.

    His words: "I left him there on the mountain; I couldn't bring him back. As you likely know, 'the mountain gives, and the mountain takes away'."

    I told him that I was only a walker, did not have any mountaineering gear or anything like that (there were a bunch of Indian IT guys walking, climbing the hills in suits) and if it started to snow (it already was snowing!) I would just turn around and head home. At that point the snow was too deep to push the wheelchair, and it didn't turn into a sledge of any kind, so we abandoned it and kept walking.

    Weird...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes................ Are you sure it was just beer you were partaking in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was being polite when I said numpties.

    ReplyDelete