Thursday, July 16, 2009

Raindrops keep fallin on my helmet

Are there any other cyclists out there?

I really would like to know...

For a long time I have believed in this saying: "Cyclists hate going riding in the rain, but don't mind getting rained on while riding."

I decided I NEEDED to go for a ride today. The run up to Thinking Rock has become a wild animal trail; the gravel part of the adventure is totally grown in so I can no longer see all the ravines, and rivulets and rocks that have arisen due to the recent rains. Also the over-the-head high weeds, and vines, and grasses, and thorns from hell have grown in so thickly that they crowd out the entire road themselves! I think that run is done until autumn.

I chose to go to "ippon sugi" or "the lone cedar tree" instead. This route has become paved entirely so it loses a lot of its sex appeal; however it also means that even in summer it is still ride-able. It takes an hour to get to the top. I went. I ate. I conquered. And then I came down. On wet concrete. And I must admit that my crash of the other day has caused me to lose a lot of confidence riding down wet pavement. But I made it down the mountain in 15 minutes, and then home in 25 minutes.

But boy was it raining! Just as I was about to go out the deluge hit. So I waited, thinking, "I should just go to the gym. But to hell with that, I want to go riding." So I waited some more. And sure enough, it abated just enough so that I could get on my bike and start riding when it was not yet raining.

I made it to the base of the climb and that is when the rain started. It rained, and rained, and rained all the way up. I was drenched (see photo). The clouds were so thick that I could not see below me (see photo). I made it to ippon sugi, ate two hard boiled eggs, a puck of camembert cheese, hugged the tree strongly, and rode down. Carefully. And slowly. It was boring to be going that slowly. Then I got below the clouds and could see my village again (see photo)

You know what? Even though it was pouring rain as I was climbing up the mountain, and my sunglasses (clear lens) were completely fogged up from the humidity, I did not mind one bit the rain soaking my everything! Because I was already riding!

So, is there anyone out there who understands that feeling?

I love you!

Cam

6 comments:

  1. I totally understand that feeling. I used to think the same thing when I was jogging. If it was raining before I left home, then I wouldn't go. But, if it started pouring during the run, I'd relish it.

    Actually, with the flexibility of my job, I do exactly the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, I think I just fell in love with you all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pppffffttt...

    You're both dorks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If i'm to be sopping wet i want to be in either a swimsuit or totally naked.






    Meaning bath or shower, Cameron....
    Don't even go there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry. Mind draws a complete blank as to what you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.... riiight.

    BRAT!

    Always trying to seem so innocent.
    I got your number, Buster!

    ReplyDelete