Friday, June 10, 2011

Modern Flubbology

A VERY strange thing happened... my kindle seems to have totally died. No power to it, no power from it, cannot turn it on, cannot reboot, cannot pass GO, cannot collect $200.

I turned it on at check in, in Wpg, to show them my itinerary stored on PDF. Then I went through the xray checkpoint (everything goes through). Then I waited for the flight. Then I got on the plane, turned it on, found the audio book, turned it off, plugged in the headset and waited until we were in the air and allowed to use electronic devices.

AND I COULD NOT TURN IT ON AGAIN!

The flight was only 1.5hrs, so that was no big deal. I thought that maybe the power had run out, but I know it was full when I left Winnipeg. Perhaps I would be able to plug it into my notebook and charge a bit if that was the problem. Dead. Nothing. No light comes on at all. Next I will see if I can find a power outlet and try to charge it up. If that doesn't work... then I imagine I will be watching movies all the way home to Japan, and contacting Amazon for repairs once I get back.

That is VERY unusual! And that is a drawback to relying upon technology. I only have a two hour wait (or so) for Lorne to arrive back from Whitehorse. Then he and I will head to his place for the weekend.

Golf tomorrow with Lorne, Dave, Conor, and then into the mountains next week for three days. I won't need my Kindle for the rest of the time here, but it WOULD be nice to have it working on the 14hour trip back.

Oh well! Life, oh life!

I love you!
Cam

9 comments:

  1. I wrote this in the Amazon troubleshooting section after attempting a hard reboot of the Kinidle as suggested by a poster:

    My kindle just died. I am on holiday in Canada from Japan. Everything was fine until I went through the X-ray at security check in Winnipeg. I got on the plane, turned it on once, turned it off, and it wouldn't turn on again. I have been trying for hours.

    I just checked the help here, and saw Blaiz' suggestion of holding the switch all the way to the right for 30 seconds (timed). It worked. The entire system rebooted. Then I got a scare as it came back totally empty. But after a few seconds, the screen refreshed and everything was there again.

    So, for anyone who has their system shut down like mine did (absolutely no access, no power, no connectivity, nothing) try the hard reboot:

    Hold the switch all the way to the right for 30 seconds (time it), then let it go and wait. It very well might save your day.

    Thanks, Blaiz!

    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh me and technology... had to Google that lol. My mother in law got one for her birthday... she never uses it. Hopefully, it will be passed on my way before it becomes land fill as I am an avid reader. Glad you worked it out but get yourself a paper model for your 14 hours ride, just in case and.... enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn`t work for mine, Cam. Mine was proper dead. I was going to say a Twitter contact of mine had the same problem. He left it for a couple of days and it just started working again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I was doing that on my own, thinking it would work, but it didn't. But after I read that article and he said to time the 30 seconds, I did, and then it worked for me. So, although I thought I was holding it down for a fairly good length of time, I guess that 30 seconds was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got it working, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. And since I have had it over a year, there is no more warranty, which means I would either have to buy a new one, wait for #4 to come out and hope it was upgraded (touch panel, etc), or switch over to a Galaxy Tablet. My mom and dad think the iPad is cool, but I don't think I'll get one because the jam packed commute I have to do is just not conducive for holding something that large and not ramming it into people's ears, necks, etc. The one handed tab would work better, but to do that I need to make an account with a new carrier as my carrier doesn't offer those half-size tablets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the IPad`s are pretty large for that sort of use. I`ve not really looked at the half-size tablets. They were all released pretty quickly, eh? It doesn`t seem that long ago since the original IPad came out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. More and more will keep coming out, the competition will get fierce, prices will dive and the consumer, in the end, will be the winner.

    ReplyDelete