Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lessons from the Train


There is a typhoon coming our way. And there was a train breakdown on the Asakusa line I have to transfer to. The result was such that there were so many people waiting to get on the train we all had to pile up outside the turnstiles.

Then when we finally were able to get to the platform we were piled up and had to wait.

THEN when we rammed ourselves into the train, it took longer than usual for the doors to close as people had to be shoved in.

The train kept getting more and more delayed.

Upon arriving finally at our destination (Gotanda), it was fuller than usual, but not uncomfortable. Getting OUT of the station was another matter; one step at a time was the watchword for the morning as a steady stream of heads slowly worked their way (our way) to the turnstiles. I actually went out on the other side of the street this time because the line to go up to the streets on my company side was very long, and moving along at the pace of a millipede who has lost 900 legs in a tragic meeting with a youngster.

I had two thoughts while in the very VERY crowded train this morning. Actually, I had more, but two that are particularly worth mentioning:

1) I no longer wear my business shirt to work; instead I wear just a t-shirt or a sports shirt and sweat up a storm that way. Then I get to work, wipe off and put one fresh shirt. Arriving at work in shorts one day freaked everyone out, so I gave that up, but the shirt… I'm sticking with it! As I am more than a head above everyone else, and hold on to the bars up above us (that Japanese cannot reach), often my armpit sits right about forehead level to the men crowded next to me. Thankfully I use antiperspirant (I wish Japanese men would, but they don't, and they stink!) so I know I don't stink. But I still sweat in the humidity. I had a little conversation in my mind with the businessman standing next to me and it went something like this: "I don't want to stick my armpit in your face and I know you don't want to stick your face in my armpit, so let's both work on avoiding that unpleasant situation, shall we?"

2) The other thought I had was a lot simpler, and definitely resulted from me being more than a head above everyone else. It is actually a combination of that and the fact that Japanese have very short legs. My thought went something like this: Being very tall in a train full of Japanese people can often rub a guy the wrong way." Yeah, THAT kind of "wrong way". Having THAT kind of thought running through your mind and being totally helpless to do anything about it (i.e. AVOID it happening), is rather disconcerting.

My guess is that the wind will pick up along with the rain this evening when work is over and people want to go home. I'm expecting very crowded trains home. I'll let you know about the typhoon and the situation if anything happens to unexpectedly pop up on the way home.

Have a great day!
I love you!!
Cam

5 comments:

  1. You could always wear a plastic cup in your pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha ha!!! I might knock out some poor short Japanese grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I needed today!

    I love your little private conversation that you have in your head... so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this made me smile. and i needed a smile.

    ReplyDelete