Monday, July 18, 2011

So Close & Yet So Far...

Dangit! We were close on this geocache in Shibuya but couldn't find it. Yesterday somebody logged it. We know where it should be (green train @ Hachiko) and we ran our fingers and hands over the entire outside of the train. We also dug around inside but couldn't find it! It's a microcache and looking at the photo of someone who found it it looks like a flat MD disc about 5cm diameter. All we got were filthy hands and knees (!! must remember to wash my knees when I get home !!).

Megumi was using her iPod Touch which does NOT have GPS so uses the WiFi. This is apparently not very accurate as the locator was telling us 45m from where it is supposed to be. That's a continent away!!

Then her power ran out. She went and got a charger to cart around from now on.

I could save a LOT of money by just changing phones to a smartphone in September or October but I have a sneaky feeling that the garmin devices will be more accurate. I could be wrong, though. Anyone out there geocaching regularly with iOS or Android and experiencing raging successes?

Keep on trying...

Cam

9 comments:

  1. My iPhone does have GPS, plus I have the geocaching website on mine. So far the only one we haven't "found" was one that had actually been destroyed during the building of a new school addition. Micro's are difficult........and you know the deal.......once you get in the right area you just have to analyze your surroundings. I will often stand there in broad daylight.....looking around.....and say aloud "Okay.....if I were a 2" x 2" disc.....where would I be hiding?" Once we found a magnetic key box under the base of a parking lot light in a Home Depot parking lot.

    Keep looking!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leebo! I guess it just takes practice. We spent about 40 minutes there and couldn't find it, sad to say. But as I wrote, Megumi's wifi-enabled iTouch was telling us it was 45m away, and that wasn't right based on all the hints. So something must have been off wth her system. Apparently WiFi doesn't work nearly as well as GPS-in the device.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to use a small....hand held "kids" geo device......and it was accurate to about 100 meters.....once I switched to the APP on my iPhone......we have been pretty successful. We took our 74 year old inlaws to find a few easy ones......and I am serious.......you get in the area and stand there.....look around and ask yourself....."where would I be?" Your wife's iPad was probably as accurate as it could be....that's when the science of your reason and mind kicks in. That happens with my iPhone as well......that's when the digging starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell you, Leebo, we did! We combed the area physically and mentally. I found what I believed was the perfect place; slipped in a slot behind the licence plate... but nothing there. We looked and looked and looked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I have a question: what does "temporarily unavailable" mean? There are a bunch in my 'hood, by the same person, but all of them are "temporarily unavailable". I looked for three of them, but to no avail. I wonder if they aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure. I am relatively new at this.......about 1.5 years......my GUESS would be that the person that planted the GEO has removed it for maintenance or update.....but just not sure. You might can find more info at the GEO website.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't find it on geocaching.com, so I sent them an inquiry. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wi.Fi. Not "uses the wife" though that might be fun once in a while.

    ReplyDelete