Saturday, February 14, 2009

Eat! The Yaki Imo Man, or Play Now & Pay Later

The Yaki Imo Man came up my street so I decided to run outside and get a yaki imo. It was a wonderful stone roasted sweet potato from the southern most tip of Kyuushuu, Japan, in Satsuma, near Kagoshima where a very big active volcano, Sakurajima, resides.

These things are so soft and buttery, and ... they just melt in your mouth! The outside skin is crispy and delicious. It is just such a wonderful treat to have in the winter when they come around. This is a Japanese tradition.

(Of course I've been suffering from massive carbohydrate overload all evening, and now thanks to that giant carbobeeste I am so starving I could eat a wooly mammoth, hair and all!)

I love you!

(just don't touch my dinner! grrrrrrrr)

Cam

12 comments:

  1. Hehehehehe you crack me up!

    Take Care Of You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understood that the metropolitan Japanese are NUTS over Valentine's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh... carb hangover will be getting the best of you in the morning too.

    Hope you sleep in... sleep it off, Sweety.

    Love you, Mou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn....

    I'd LOVE one of those now....

    Beats the hell outta chocolate cake... and chocolate candy which was purchased for me knowing i don't eat that stuff any more... ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know I'm not the only carb binger this weekend. Bring on the steaks!(Hairless for me please.)

    Are these those brilliant purple sweet potatoes I've seen? Those are amazing! I wish our shops had them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyv - these weren't the purple ones (inside, right?) but they are just as delicious! Maybe one day you and your husband will get here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TC - Japanese women are NUTS over anything sweet, and anything chocolate. That says it all.Phkkk romance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the purple on the inside sweet potatoes. I see them on bento recipe pages and think they're beautiful. We get closer to Japan everyday, the economy put a damper on our plans a bit but we'll get there. We're determined! I've been sad about missing the Snow Festival in Sapporo as that is the thing I really want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol..in cold weather i have massive sugar comfort binges in fact im nibbling jelly sweets as i type here in net cafe ill regret it later lolxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man! I experienced the carb overload this weekend! I've been famished all day today and all bloaty! Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd eat ten pounds of these (and suffer whatever consequences) before i'd eat a tiny nibble of that loathsome NATTO.... ugh...



    Heee.....


    Love You Lots, NattoBoy!

    ReplyDelete