Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hedge Fund: Investing in a Different Perspective

It was overcast this morning...

Dickhead next door was off to work...

Dickhead Dad's car was nowhere to be seen...

So I grabbed the opportunity, went next door and asked the daughter if it was OK for me to go in their yard and trim the hedge that pokes over into their yard.

She said that her father had said he was going to "do something about it" and that she didn't know if it was OK or not. So I assured her that all I was going to do was trim MY hedge, that is sticking out into their yard, and that was all and would it be OK for me to set foot in their yard?. She said, "Wakarimashita" (which means "I understand".) Her response was about as Japanese as could be for it neither gave me permission, nor denied me access, but rather just signified that she "understood" what I wanted to do (this is the kind of language that allows people to weasel their way out of promises they make but cannot keep without having to lose face... because they actually do not have to commit to anything!)

Those of you who have been with us for some time now know that conditions between us and the neighbours has deteriorated dramatically from when we first moved in. We try to be nice, we try to engage in conversation, we try to keep the neighbourhood air... clear from any discomfort. But they just do not respond. When we moved here we were told they were strange, but we didn't let that affect us toward them. Well, things have changed in three years.

When at first I was told I could freely come in to trim the hedges and clean up fallen leaves, I found out last year that Dickhead Dad complained that I just came into their yard and trimmed the hedges and cleaned up the fallen leaves. He didn't complain to me, he complained to others in the neighbourhood. There have been other incidences.

We don't want to bother trying to talk with them anymore so it was a good opportunity for me to get over there, get the trimming done, and get out! So you can imagine my consternation when, as I was picking up the teeny leaves that sometimes fall to their gravel yard, that he drove home, and immediately came stomping over to where I was. I decided I needed to apply some Platinum Rule Tactics in order to prevent an argument. So the first thing I did was to breathe..... and know that I was working in "the gap", and that I was relaxed and at peace with the processes in my life.

My first tactic was to apologize for not getting it done sooner but that I had been ill for over three weeks and unable to get out into the sun. We got to talking about this and I explained what the illness was (he didn't know), and why I was unable to come and trim the hedge. This helped to deflect his anger at us because I have been sick but moreso because I was truly apologetic for inconveniencing him in my illness.

My second tactic was to let him know that if he ever wants it trimmed, all he has to do is let me know and I am more than happy to come over and cut the branches that stick into his yard, but that since I do not visit his yard regularly, I cannot tell if anything is sticking over. I need his cooperation for this but am glad to do so. This helped him to see that I am really not an adversary, but want to work with him, rather than be a thorn in his side.

My third tactic was to comment on how this year the insects did not eat all of the leaves off of this hedge for the first time since we arrived, and also that finally, the bushes were starting to fill back in again after the really heavy snowfall of two years ago broke off huge portions of the hedge, leaving gaping... gaps in the hedge (which Mayu hates because when she sits outside, he can stare through ("nozoku" in Japanese) at her). This helped to take his mind away from the fact that I was in his yard without HIS permission, cutting back the branches that were causing him great distress, and creating (in his mind) much garbage that was falling in his yard.

You can see in the picture how closely back to the fence I trimmed today. Well, it seems it was not enough for Dickhead Dad because our land ends on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CONCRETE WALL and that he really wants the hedge trimmed back so absolutely nothing sticks above the wall, because the leaves that fall are extremely bothersome and make his yard feel really messy! (OK, I understand...)

I then employed my fourth tactic, which was to gently, but firmly explain to him that due to the damage of the hedge in the past, if we cut back entirely to my side of his fence, then that will cut away ALL of the green leaves on his side, leaving him with dead, bald, grey branches to look at all of the time. I suggested that we leave it as it is so at least there is some sense of greenery for him to see. His response? "A ho ka..." which is local dialect for "Ah, sou desu ka?" or "Is that so.....?" (Aho also means "idiot" or "moron" in slang so I always laugh when people over here use that instead of "ah sou".) This helped him to see things a bit differently, and show him that I was offering a suggestion that was in his best interest, but still willing to meet his needs if he really felt it necessary.

I employed my fifth tactic of telling him how great his hedge (different bush) on the other side of his house looked in spite of the fact that two years ago everyone else in the neighbourhood lost theirs because they went on a "trimming frenzy" (see someone trim, must get out and trim too) and cut it all too short, effectively destroying it. This allowed him to feel a sense of pride for his hard work, diffusing his anger at seeing me there.

He then walked away.

I swept up and collected as much of the fallen leaves as possible, then took all the clippings and dropped them in the "clipping pile" in our yard (it's under the caterpillar dust of death tree and I have no intentions on getting anywhere NEAR that stuff this year, so Mayu can take care of it all!!)

So, why am I telling you this? Certainly it is not to rant. Not at all.

What I want to show you is that there is a way to diffuse conflict in negotiation situations such that neither party has to feel the need to let ego come raging into the foreground in an attempt to defend through a destructive offence.

What I feel I was able to do, was to calmly approach the situation with his needs, his wants in mind, and allow him to PERCEIVE a potentially explosive situation in a different manner. By genuinely apologizing for our bushes being a problem to him and gently explaining why I was unable to come sooner, by appealing to his ego and recognizing his hard work at keeping a tidy and healthy yard, and by engaging him in non-threatening dialogue he was able to freely CHOOSE TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY (on his terms).

Had I been aggressive, snarky, sarcastic, bitchy, defensive, expressed "my needs" or be angry in any way, this incident would have gone in the opposite direction. But I was able to think, and act in "the Gap" with my advance knowledge of his reaction to our existence and divert potential conflict.

This does not mean that we are now buddies, or that he will suddenly greet me when we meet. I don't expect that. But I must admit that it really was nice to know that I was able to achieve MY goals without causing him undue distress, and also to finish the work calm, relaxed and at peace with the processes in my life.

This was a win-win situation for us both and a perfect example (in my mind) why it is so very important to focus your attentions OUTWARD on others' needs, rather than try to have your needs met first. Following the "Golden Rule" in this case would not have worked, because giving him the same things I expect to receive makes absolutely no sense when we are two different individuals with completely different needs.

This is also why I believe that the "Golden Rule" is flawed: it bases your actions on what YOU would want done to yourself, ASSUMING that others would want the same things, rather than by basing your actions on what the other person might really prefer have done for them.

This is what I call the "Platinum Rule":

"Do unto others as they would have you do unto them".

The Platinum Rule employs MINDFULNESS towards others. It is much more respectful of others than the "Golden Rule", I believe, because it takes into consideration their true wants and needs rather than your own. This is not always easy to do, of course, because in many cases you may not know what they really want. But you can always ask, right?

I know it works for me and those around me so I have chosen to re-educate myself based upon my real life experiences, and see things differently from the way I was raised. And, in most cases, the results speak for themselves.

I love you!

Cam

48 comments:

  1. This is possibly my favourite blog entry of yours ever (and it's a tough competition to choose from!) Not only did you really detail successful conflict-avoidance well, you really touched on how difficult it can be to be a foreigner in a community. It did not come off as a rant at all, but simply as a wonderful document of life in Japan.

    By the way, I am a big fan of the ambiguous "Wakarimashita", although my favourite Japanese dodge will always be "Chotto Muri" ("A little impossible.") Everytime someone tells me my request is "a little impossible", I can't but help crack up.

    And I also love hearing my West Coast Japanese friends using the good old "Aho-ka". Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. Coming from a great author such as you, I really appreciate your praise.

    Regarding Japanese... lest we forget the wonderful (I use it all the time myself) evasion tactic, "kangaete mimasu" (I'll think about it), which as you and I know really means, "not a snowball chance in hell, buster", but with a smile.

    Oh, and the "shhhhhhhhhh" sucking air through the teeth! You have to love that one! That is so great when business clients experience that first hand... they have absolutely no idea how to handle a meeting room full of Japanese businessmen sounding like a flat tire!

    Thanks again, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to visit Japan for a long time. The culture being so alien to westerners is so completely inpenatratable. Sadly it will be a long time before finances will let me visit but one day.

    Interesting commentary on neighbours and Japanese culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazz - It is a LOT cheaper now than you think. Everyone has this image of Japan being unrealistically expensive... but it is NOT like that anymore. And since you hail from the UK, the Euro is so strong (pounds, right?) that coming to Japan is laughably cheap these days! You can stay at inns in Kyoto for about 20 euro, and dinner doesn't need to cost any more than 9 euro!

    Think about it, seriously because we are getting foreign tourists by the DROVES these days in Tokyo and Kyoto. So much so in fact that they are even doing TV spots on the morning news to showcase a lot of the foreigners and what they are doing here for holidays!

    And if the Aussies can come over for skiing vacations (one of the new hot spots for powder skiing in the world... up in Hokkaido), then you guys over in Europe certainly can as well!

    Of course air fair is expensive.... but think of that as total running cost investment while you still have a very strong currency compared to the Japanese Yen. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A most excellent post! Good resolution, good food for thought.

    And I do remember that shhhhhhhh. It didn't take me long to figure out it meant no but that the person doing it was never going to actually say no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The artful dodging. Gotta love it ;o)

    A lot of negotiators use the same tactics you've mentioned - Jase has had to learn them the hard way *laughs* If tailor your actions to let someone feel they're getting what THEY want, when it's also what YOU want, everyone wins. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sally - Exactly! Because saying NO is negatively affecting a person's space and this is, or was, taboo in the culture. It doesn't mean that they are meekly going to do everything you want... hahahahahahahaha... not a snowball's chance in hell of THAT happening! But rather, it means they don't want you to lose face by telling you NO. So they can even say YES, to mean NO. It's a wonderful language in that respect, if you can understand and respect how it is used.

    You could probably even get away with murder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found that it's definitely a dance - and I'm not sure how we'll react to being back in the US where people seem to find new and unusual ways to let you know in crystal clear language that the answer is an emphatic NO.

    One of our acquaintances here has described it as the US having a straight line between dots A and B on a map, whereas Japan has a swirling spiral between the two dots, eventually reaching the same conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that analogy. Does it seem appropriate to you based on your experiences here? I am hoping that in a couple of years when you do go back, that you take back some of the good things about Japan regarding human interaction and that you DO feel a bit uncomfortable about some things back home. This will indicate that you have grown, and expanded your views to be a little more in harmony with a global outlook on life, and the human condition.

    Either that or it means you just miss the beer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you are right. But as you say, the air fare is the killer, that and the distance involved. But that's not to say we won't look at it in a couple of years, I realise that the good exchange rates won't be around for ever but house moving and new relationship are the priorities at the moment.

    Still it won't hurt (much) to run the idea past the boss I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly! You can show the boss my comments... after all, why would I lie about this, right? It's not like I'm trying to get you here to have a torrid love affair with you or anything!

    ooops. cat's out of the bag now.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hace I just been propositioned? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cam - I'm already a bit uncomfortable about some things back home... I just hope I don't get completely irrational. *laughs*

    I think the analogy is very fitting - and partly why some of the younger military types get a little.... baffled.... when dealing with our host nation. Most of the time, the sailors around here are hit with a virtual hammer to get a point through EVERYONE'S skull....... Example: the Japanese instructors on base have been known to find the highest ranking American servicemember in class to handle any disciplinary actions. They set up a signal before hand and "take a break" so that the ranking guy can bawl out the guys who are getting out of hand when the instructor can't gently keep things on track.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jaime - I like it! Everyone's needs get met in the best possible way. The Japanese instructors get their displeasure across, and those who are out of hand are getting it in a way that they can understand. It also gives the senior ranking serviceman (is that politically correct?) recognition for rank, as well. That's a pretty good cross-cultural win-win example if you ask me.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We tend to say "servicemember" these days ;o) But serviceman works for me! It definitely makes things easier to handle for all parties involved. There are a lot of agreements like that to keep things flowing smoothly around here. *smiles*

    Love right back at you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Servicemember.... that kind of sounds too close to "service my member"...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cam, your mind.... it revolves around certain ... members.... often....... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. excellent your role is as negotiator i feel..maybe get you in parliment may help peoplébe less aggressive..well handled..hugs joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jaime - With three brains, even an ordinary amount appears to be 3X as much! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jools - Thanks so much. I am known to some of my offline friends as "Mr. Neutral" because they see me as a person who prefers not to take sides, but rather to negotiate for a win-win situation for all.

    Thank you very very much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. (((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) thank you.....and yep your a good negotiatorxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job at avoiding conflict Cam!

    I love the platinum rule. This is the one you should learn in school...not the golden rule.

    A while back Jay and I went to a couple's marriage "rejuvenation" workshop. The IMAGO method (google it, it's pretty awesome!). They suggest you use the platinum rule. I had never heard of it before, but geez it makes so much more sense than the Golden rule. Don't you want to be treated like YOU want to be treated, rather than be treated like the OTHER person wants to be treated?? It goes a long way in living peacefully!

    Bye for now! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great way to resolve a conflict before it arises. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was relaxed and at peace with the processes in my life. ~ I need to adopt that philosophy more.

    It sure took a lot to avoid that conflict! Good job Cam!

    ReplyDelete
  25. But then..

    We all knew this about you didn't we, Mou?

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Same thing happened to me once. Neighbors' growth was pushing over their fence into my driveway. Someone had told me that he (retired) had recently suffered a heart attack, etc. So one day I got all of the tools and time together and went over and knocked on the door. No answer.

    Since I had everything assembled and the fence was becoming a liability to them if it wasn't at the time, I went in and trimmed the back of their overgrown oleanders. Couldn't even tell from their side, 'cause I only trimmed the BACK of 'em... then I propped up the fence.

    Apparently someone told them that they could make a LOT of money by taking me to court and asserting trespass. Subpoena, the whole thing. CRIMINAL trespass, so the Los Angeles' prosecutor's office gets involved. I go in. Tell 'em why I did what I'd done.

    They decided I was "absent malice," therefore not criminally to blame. "Intent" being the operative word, at least in American juris prudence.

    Just sayin' ...dickheads or no.

    ReplyDelete
  27. TC - Sometimes you are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't. I'm sorry it happened to you.

    Jen - Thank you. I love you!

    Amy - I am glad you visited. Let's be at peace with the processes in our lives, shall we? Because life really isn't out to get us... only we are out to get ourselves. And that is really kind of dumb.

    Robin - I know, I know... you still want your chance to knock Dickhead around a bit....

    Swag - I had been wanting to go in for days... but didn't want to have to talk to him. This worked out well.

    Amy - WHAT?!!??! You mean that somebody stole my Platinum Rule and is using it for profit?!?!!?! ARGH!!!!! Why those dirty rats! I nevergave them permission!!!!! Not for profit!!! hehehehe. It's funny how I came up with that concept totally independently on my own without even realizing that the very same name already exists, eh? Weird how that works some times.... I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. fanTAStic blog!!!



    I too, am slowly communicating with my neighbors... on her terms... in her time.....

    It's working...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stefnee - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

    I knew it would, Stephanie! I KNEW it would eventually work on your neighbour... on her terms... in her (life) time...

    ... are you sure it's not that bacon perfume we picked up on a night run to Wal-Mart, though?

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. hee. I think it's the rhubarb jam, the apples and apple sauce, the coffee I offered her, and the interest I showed in her table project she's working on...

    That.. and I quit kissing her man. Yanno.. it's the little things that make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The vastly huge thing her Cam is:
    Are those turists in Japan Taking all these crazy Photos
    giving the peace sign or the victory sign? ;)


    Actually. I agree with you...diffusing a situation is often far for difficult then propagating one.
    like the crazy old saying my father had," do as I say not what I do"
    Maybe that doesnt fit, but still..
    And guess what? Ol dickhead is none the wiser.. .....yet you are.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stefnee!
    I didnt know that Kansas Had Bacon Perfume!
    Leave it to your state!!
    I want some....I hear it drives the possums nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i just cant do it Cam
    why cant I act like a grown up when asshole is being an asshole??
    I DONT FREAKING KNOW
    but if that was MY dear asshole and not your dear neighbor
    i would have cut down the dam bush and trown all the leaves on his side of the fence and then said
    FUCK YOU!
    cause i am sick and tired of three years of bullshit taking

    so MY dearest asshole (exhubby) is eating at my house. like the guy HAS a job and I dont and I cant afford to be feeding him AND his other son from a previous marriage
    BUT I DID
    big mistake
    he starts with
    "I dont like your attitude"
    Um it's MY apartment????
    I say, " please wash your hands before putting away the meat jelly because joaquin(our child) is allergic to shrimp and you have shrimp sause on your fingers"
    he says
    "you dont have to talk to me like a child I TOLD YOU i dont like your attitude"
    after 3 hours of his visit i was tired of his shit
    i took the shrimp shells and threw them into the jelly and said
    "FINE, i will just throw it out, are you happy?"
    asshole gets mad
    removes the BLANKETS OFF THE CHILDRENS BEDS
    (he bought them)
    and leaves
    not a moment too soon i might add



    i felt bad because the kids had to see yet again what an asshole he is and because i dont think i handled it well
    but the pressure had been building all day as he told the kids that the reason our marriage didnt work was because I wanst nice enough to him
    of course he didnt mention his drinking all the time or the prostitutes or...
    well you get teh idea
    soooooo
    what i am saying here is
    HOW THE FREAKING HELL DO YOU
    get to that point where the asshole is not pushing your buttons
    ???????
    ??????
    ??????
    ????

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carrie - Let's take this privately. Let's talk.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. "See things differently from the way I was raised" You were doing fine until that part.! Where do you think you got the skills to cope with different situations. I am certainly glad the coping skills that we instilled are paying off and now you are able to handle any situation. Carry on son.your doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Dad - Here is what I learned:

    Mom: "When the boys bully you, just turn the other cheek, dear.
    Dad: "Hit them hard son, and hit them first so they know not to ever bother you again."

    I have had great difficulty trying to balance those two all my life.

    In addition to that, being raised means so much more than just by the direct parents. The school system raises children, the neighbours raise them, the church raises them, their peers raise them... these influences on children are huge, so please don't think that I'm saying you guys did a bad job... you can ask any of my friends on here and they will tell you what a fantastic set of parents (or parental units as Robin likes to call them) I had and how I love, cherish, respect and appreciate those units probably more than they realize I do! I love you, Dad. Now get out there and cut the lawn, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  37. A good son would mow the lawn for his Dad... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. And thats how you developed into the wonderful person you are to day. You saw both
    sides and are able to develope your own approach.!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's Switzer mutual admiration day! Seriously, you two are lovely. :)

    I'd call the Parental Unit and love up on them, but they are somewhere in Alaska tearing it up as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Cut the lawn yesterday, when he was here he used to do good things like that. When he comes in the winter he even shovels snow... I see one other piece of info that I (unit) passed on that you seem
    to remember is when you find yourself in a hole quit digging.!! You did a good job of the tree. Hangs over a teeny bit at the top but if he is short he (dickhead) will never notice.! Oh by the way which method worked with the bully that used to sneak up on you from behind??

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE the Switzer men.

    They are each the models of the kind of men i didn't really have in my life... a strong father figure (though my big brothers did a good job), and a man any woman would love to share her life with....

    Awesome!

    And they wonder why i spend so much time here in MultiplyLand!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Bruce and I used to mow the lawn all the time. It was one of the times we would have a lot of fun. We used to enjoy cutting all kinds of geometric designs into the grass so that when Dad would come out to check on us, and looking from the living room window or the front steps you could see all of the hard work we put into it. Of course he would tell us that we were doing it all wrong and we should be cutting it back and forth and stuff, but when he would walk back into the house with his head shaking, the back of his head would be smiling. He did his job (tell us how to do it right), and then he let us do our job (have fun as kids, getting the job done).

    That was the great thing about my parents.... they would always give us the tools (i.e. the education) and then let us tweak the situation so that it worked best for us. As long as the chore was done, and done completely and "professionally" they let us do it our way. And I love that about them!

    Dad, the back yard (your background photo) looks absolutely lush and fantastic! How is my tree doing? Does it need to be cut out of the hydro lines again?

    I hope mom is having a blast decorating Bruce's house with him.... that should give you some time *wink*

    I love you, Dad! Hang in there! You're not totally falling apart yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I wish more parents today would do that with their kids.

    I can't tell you how many people i see out mowing the lawn and raking the leaves while their kids go off to play or sit in the house doing ... whatever.

    They are not learning responsibility or how to tackle a job and, like you and Bruce, find a way to make it fun and get it done.

    It's a shame how spoiled today's kids are.

    Yes, it's easier to just do it yourself rather than fight with the kids, but what are you teaching them?

    Jim and Sharon did a great job.

    And it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just deleted my own comment. It is getting too long so I shall put it in a new blog....

    ReplyDelete
  45. Uh oh... here we go.

    Wonder what struck his fancy this time?

    Stay tuned, Folks!

    ReplyDelete