Thursday, May 20, 2010

Koromogae or "Cool Biz"

"Koromogae" or the change of the season, doesn't officially begin in our company until June 1st. Actually they are calling it "Cool Biz" these days for the business community. Cool Biz is a thing the government developed to try to keep the country's energy use / carbon footprints down. The marketing efforts of the government tries to convince Japanese businesses that it is OK not to wear a necktie and full suit in 300 degrees Kelvin weather (you better google that for your own local temperature conversion).

Why they didn't figure this out 20 million years ago is a mystery to me... Japan seems to be the only Asian country left that wears full suits in this tropical swampweather that hits all of Asia for about four to five months. China, Korea, the other Asian countries have all gone to open neck, half-sleeved, no suit, no jacket business attire, but Japan sticks to the tried and true "full sweated jacket" style. I guess they figure they are "more business-like" or "cool" or something. Well, in this Land of the Rising Temperatures, with Tokyo Heat Island, it ain't so no mo'. To be cool, you gotta BE cool, yo!

For us at our company this means we must wear long-sleeved dress shirts, ties and jackets until that day. So we sweat in the office, and we sweat to and from work, and we sweat going outside in the sun heat and humidity (no sweaty crotch syndrome reference here, D).

Today is the first day this year that it is going up to about 30C/90F (probably higher as it is almost there already at 7:45am) with high humidity. We have another week before we can switch to no ties, and half-sleeve dress shirts.

Time to go and get ready for work.

I much prefer sitting here in a no-sleeve t-shirt and a home-made kilt...

Have a good day.

I love you!

Drippingly Yours,
Cam

14 comments:

  1. What???
    No sleeve shirt and kilt?

    I can't believe you're not naked!

    You feelin OK, Mou?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang in there.................LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - Thats the way I sleep. If I sleep naked the sheets rub and I have an erection all night which is not conducive to a restful sleep. The shirt absorbs the sweat from the high humidity. Also, with the window open the people in the apts across the street can see right in and I dont really want them to see me completely naked. A kilt-like-skirt thingy is probably enough of a shock as it is...

    Paula - I will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... I see.
    Of course... good point... understood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh....

    I feel you. Remember when I used to have wear a skirt/dress and heels to work on trucks in the summer california sun?



    (and thanks for a better mental image)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I remember! I bet all the truckers loved that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol.... they were proof that gentlemen still exist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 30C.......... I`ve not even got my thermals off at that temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? I cant see a channel island getting much hotter than that... what kind of summer temps do you get? And winter ones? If you lived in Egypt I might imagine you saying that 30C or roughly 90F was cold... but anywhere else in the northern hemisphere? Even Hawaii rarely goes that warm these days and everyone in italy is lying naked on the beaches at that temp...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We`ve had the odd 32C day here. But, no, it doesn`t get THAT hot. Seriously, I like it REALLY hot; dry desert heat though, not humid. Winters rarely get below freezing, but it`s always very wet and very windy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Atlantic Ocean influences are none too pleasant, especially in winter... Do you surf and do other water activities with a wetsuit or dry suit? When I took my scuba licence back in junior high school (too young to keep it up and too costly also) we had to wear 8mm wetsuits to dive in the lakes in Manitoba... in summer! So when I dove once in Saipan I was in heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I surf in the winter in a 5mill wettie, summer just board shorts and a rash vest. Diving I usually use a dry suit year round, in the summer mostly for the convenience rather than the insulation. What`s the diving in Canada like? I`m not surprised you had to wear an 8 mill, lakes are notoriously cold. No movement of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The lakes were all murkey as most are silt-based. One wrong flipper kick and visibility becomes zero. Diving was always cold and dark in the lakes. Diving off of Vancouver and the Pacific Ocean coast was nice.

    ReplyDelete