Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Traditions

Tug and I went for a long walk tonight just before midnight, looking for a jinja (shrine) to celebrate our traditional Christmas Eve together, again. We found just the right one after midnight on Christmas, Dec 25th, 2009.

I set up my usual mikan (mandarin orange), osake, candle and I placed Tug's ashes next to it all. I then took time to silently pray thanks to The Universe, to God, to The Energy that gives us Life, to The Mother.

I shared the mikan and the sake with kami-sama (the god). I bowed again, I cleaned up, and I left.

On my way out I read a sign at the entrance explaining the history of this jinja. Apparently the original site was dedicated to the gods in 932. That is almost 1,100 years ago.

It was a beautiful, and peaceful location about 15 minutes walk directly down my street straight to the river.

Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, Cameron James Switzer!!!

    Merry Christmas to you and my Tug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to welcome Christmas! Merry Christmas, were still about 14 hours away of course..

    I miss Tug and your adventures together and so enjoy moments like this when I can be reminded of him as you both share. I love the temples of Japan, and how the energy feels there, you can feel the age of them and of those who have passed there before, many sharing moments such as yours.

    So in so many ways you were with many on Christmas.... as a matter of fact, I may take a cue from your post and go off somewhere by myself and enjoy the thoughts in my mind....and the silence for a while. I will light a candle... and contemplate universe, life, joy, the moment, my dear brother, and all those whom I hold dear.... so we may in a small way share a tradition. I may even bring a mandarin...... and sake.... ;-) Or better yet some mandarin vodka?

    I love you (and you too Jen), have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tradition. Tug was lucky to belong to you and you were lucky to belong to him.

    I love you too!

    ReplyDelete