Friday, July 2, 2010

Fundoshi - Traditional Japanese Gotch

Megumi works for a printing and design company. One of her clients makes undergarments. When she was visiting them a few weeks ago for a meeting she saw that they had a lot of garments on deep discount sale. She thought I might be interested in seeing what a fundoshi, or traditional gotch in Japan looks and feels like. She also thought I might like showing all of my friends "out there" in the blogs around the world who may not be familiar with "everything Japonais". So she picked me up three pairs of silk fundoshi (in different colours and patterns).

Here is a little information I culled from Wikipedia (I recall using this in a blog a few years ago...)

Fundoshi is the traditional Japanese undergarment for adult males, made from a length of cotton. Before World War II the fundoshi was the main form of underwear for Japanese adult males; however it went out of use quickly after the war with the advent of new underwear, such as briefs and trunks, on the Japanese market.

There are several varieties, and you can see more details on wikipedia.

The ones she got me are called "etchu fundoshi", , a design originating in the Toyama area (traditionally known as Etchu), just north of where I used to live in Fukui (traditionally known as Echizen)

Here is a little WikiKnowledge giving you a little more detail about the length and breadth of my.... fundoshi.

EtchÅ« fundoshi is a length of cloth, however it has a strip of material at the waist to form a fastening or string. The dimensions are 14 inches width by about 40 inches length, and it is tied with the material strip in front of the body. EtchÅ« fundoshi was the form of fundoshi most popular among Japanese adult males as underwear from early 1900s to the end of the World War II.

The samurai wore them under their armour, and in late 2008 the Japanese firm, Wacoal, began marketing fundoshi for women and have had greater than expected sales. The loincloths for women come in seven different colors and two designs—plain and chequered. Prices are about 1,260 yen ($13).

This fundoshi feels really quite nice! In fact, I think I may even test them out at work under my business suit. It is nice to feel like I'm not wearing anything at all! I kinda like that. (kinda... is an understatement).

So, there you have it: my first fundoshi!

Thanks, Megumi!

Have a great day.

I love you!

Cam

P.S. Oh yeah... I almost forgot the links to the photos (as if!):

--> Fundoshi Front   <--
-->
Fundoshi Side   <--

22 comments:

  1. Oh my God... Cameron.

    And excuse...ANY... to come out yo clothes!

    You need to go to a naturist camp on holiday. LOL!

    So it looks like it comes from behind, through the legs and loops over the waist strap, but why?
    Why does it need to hang so far down the front when it seems your....stuff... would be covered by the through-the-leg wrap?
    I guess it's so it can fit men of various sizes, yes?

    hmmmm... might make a good swimsuit nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting way to spend a Saturday morning, Mou...

    OY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This variety provides some sense of modesty by having the flap hang over the front. If it didn't, then it would just be a pouch holding testicles and a cock for the entire world to see... and THAT'S not modest! (Another style pouches it in front, and twists so that it becomes a string up the ass, just like many women's T-backs. For the more daring fellow of old, I imagine...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All for education, Jen... all for education.

    And I'm glad you find it interesting, though I must remind you it is Friday night where you are, not Saturday morning. Sorry to get you all hot and bothered, again... *wink*. As for me, I'm spending it vacuuming, cleaning, and laundering. Got a friend coming by in a bit, so want to remove the dust that collects through the constant breeze blowing up here (a nice benefit to living 11 storeys up is the breeze).

    ReplyDelete
  5. StorIES... 11 stories up.

    And i was speaking of YOUR day... Saturday morning.

    Are you vacuuming in your new Tarzan gotch?

    Anyway... have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My life is full of amazing storeys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and no, I am not. I am folding laundry in my new Tarzan gotch. And sweating. The temps rose as the humidity staied up high. No wonder my body pieres got infected! With my body always having a film of sweat on it, it's not surprising at all. Even 11 storeys up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that the king of gotch-ya I like. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...... hm. I was gonna say something clever. ... then I looked at the photos and I seem to have forgotten....

    What?



    Sorry.... distracted.



    Damn.
    Damn.




    Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep hoping that Steve will pop up - I mean in - and we can have another manly talk about the ins-and-outs, the ups-and-downs of mens gotch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that talk has been exhausted as far as he is concerned, Cam.
    As it was, i think it was more talk of underpants than he'd ever imagined there being a need for.

    I think he's at work now though so ... you never know.... maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, he usually shows up a few days later, so I'm not rushed. Not at all, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He'll prolly check in later today since he's off early.
    The poor man... doesn't know what he's in for...
    But by now i'm sure he's not shocked by Cam's craziness ;-)

    Back from grocery shopping, now dropping Jim at the train to NYC (Greg's on his way there with a friend), Colin'e been there since last night....

    If only i could get rid of RoomieNikki, i'd be set for a fantastic afternoon of solitary bliss.

    She said she's going shopping... let's hope it's a good long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooooooooooo............ what do you want to talk about Cam? When it comes to grundies I`m an old traditionalist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent, Steve. And these are as old, traditional as one gets without riding a free Willy!
    Started looking at that book yet? I finished it. Finally. Excellent read I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no... these two are at it.

    Cameron, what are you doing up so early?

    Stephen.... SHOWER... remember?


    SHEESH!
    MEN!

    Never where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok............. I`m an old WESTERN traditionalist. Oh yeah, and I REFUSE to wear silk on me knackers!

    Sorry no, not started the book yet, too much other stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I commented over on flickr.... all i will say here is Cam, your such a ham.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...... *snicker* ....

    knackers..... hehehehehe....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen - Telling Steve to go have a shower? I didn't see him mention anything about needing to take a shower!

    "Knackers" is also a very common word in Canada. I grew up using it all the time. "Look at that guy! His knackers are hanging out of his gotch!" Or... are you thinking Snickers bars when you think "knackers"? Mmm mm mmm mmm mmmmm......

    Paula - I replied over on Flickr. Thanks for the comments. I love ham!

    Steve - Hey, if the Japanese Imperial army could wear them, and love them, even in the jungles of the countries they invaded, surely an old retired military guy like you might like them... Imagine slipping into something so comfy, and relaxing after a long hard day on the surfboard....

    Oh, and as for the book, though there are 350 pages, the actual "good stuff" ends at 250 so it's not as long as it might seem. The last 100 or so pages are just supplementary details giving more examples and numbers that the author sums up in the main part of the book. So unless you are a real numbers freak, you won't diminish your understanding of the book by skipping the last 100 pages and going on to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I generally find going commando is the best way to relax after a long hard day surfing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Too true... and drip drying after the shower, right, Nicey?

    Man doesn't own a towel... hehehe...

    ReplyDelete