Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Margarine: "Food From Hell"

In Japan we have these cute little plastic foods in all the windows of restaurants showing the customers exactly what they can order. I have always wanted to get them and send them back to my friends and family in NA. Whenever people come to Japan they are amazed by how life-like they really are. Plastic food...

Plastic food is not all that original. In fact, we've been filling our cell walls with it for decades. We call it ... margarine, and it is quite possibly one of the worst "foods" we have ever been eaten. All of the marketing over the decades that pushed butter off the table because it was "fat" and we all know (have been known?) that "fat is bad" so of course a "fat replacement" was a welcome addition to the family.

Then came the "cholesterol is bad for you" craze (it's still here, and the cholesterol-lowering drugs, and cutting back on foods that naturally contain cholesterol (i.e. MEAT) has done more harm to us than a lot of other things (except possibly margarine!).

Margarine DOES NOT ROT. Fat is SUPPOSED to go rancid, it is SUPPOSED to rot. But when you can leave margarine in your garage for an entire year and it never even picks up a teeny bit of "off scent", you know that something is amiss. How do they extend the shelf-life of foods in convenience stores? They use non-rotting margarine instead of butter! Yaaaay! You gotta love the businesses out there who are making life more convenient for us by killing us softly with their "soft spread".

Here are just a few brief references that I took from my friend and associate Khanada's The Science of Health Index website, to show you exactly why you should be sticking with butter, going back to butter, or at the very least, dramatically cutting back on your margarine (and more!)

Margarine is plastic. It is a food that has been plasticized through changing the molecular structure. No wonder it doesn't go bad! We can landfill plastics and they last for, what? A billion years? I wonder if once we die of all of the horrendous illnesses-related to margarine, if "ashes to ashes, dust to dust" will no longer apply to us because even the grubs and worms won't touch our corpses!?

Margarine a low-grade plastic:
A plastics engineer would call margarine "plastic food," - meaning that margarine's molecular structure resembles a low-grade plastic. Reference: Peak Performance, Radiant Health: Moving Beyond the Zone, Noble Publishing, 2001, page 190.

Margarine and trans-fats:
Margarine contains a tremendous amount of harmful distorted EFAs called trans-fatty acids. Reference: Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill, pages 103, 105.

Margarine and heart disease:
Margarine eaters have twice the rate of heart disease as butter eaters. Reference: Nutrition Week 3/22/91 21:12.

Hydrogenation is the chemical addition of hydrogen to another chemical. When applied to oils, the process turns the healthy essential oils into dangerous trans fatty acids, which are unhealthy for humans. References: Fats that Heal Fats that Kill, Udo Erasmus, Published by Alive Books, Burnaby, BC, Canada, 01 January, 1999, ISBN: 0920470386,1-800-661-0303.

Trans-fats produced by hydrogenation:
The process of hydrogenation requires a metal catalyst, like nickel, and is stopped when the margarine looks butter-like, without regard to the "unnatural" fat by-products, which have been produced (1). These by-products include trans fatty acids, lipid peroxides and other potentially toxic compounds. Some large studies have been published, which suggest that ingestion of trans fatty acids are considered a risk factor for heart disease (2). Trans fatty acids can also block the body’s ability to use EFAs in the production of eicosanoids and they may lessen the transfer of the life giving nutrient, oxygen, across cell membranes (3).

The trans-fat, cancer connection:
In 1939, The American Journal of Cancer published that eating trans-fats produced cancer when exposed to ultra-violet rays. Trans-fats are defined as polyunsaturated fats containing Essential Fatty Acids that have been damaged/distorted by heat and processing.

Vision and trans-fats:
Expect vision-related problems when there is too many Trans fats. Reference: Essential Fatty Acids and Eicosanoids, 1992, pgs: 107-115; Invest. Opthalmol. Vision Science, 1992, 33(11): 3242-3253.

Trans Fats in the Brain
Studies show that the trans fatty acids we eat do get incorporated into brain cell membranes, including the myelin sheath that insulates neurons. They replace the natural DHA in the membrane, which affects the electrical activity of the neuron. Trans fatty acid molecules disrupt communication, setting the stage for cellular degeneration and diminished mental performance. Reference: Lipids, 1994; 29/4:251-58.

Heart disease and trans-fats:
Researchers found that Trans-fats are more detrimental to the ability of blood vessels to dilate, a marker for heart disease risk. Trans fats reduced this blood vessel function by a third – and lowered (good) HDL-cholesterol by a fifth – compared to saturated fats. Both increased (bad) LDL-cholesterol levels. "This suggests that trans fatty acids increase the risk of heart disease more than the intake of saturated fats," concluded the scientists at Wageningen University in the Netherlands. It suggests that if French fries were cooked in saturated fat instead of in hydrogenated vegetable oils, they would probably be safer. Reference: Atherosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, July 2001, American Heart Association/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins January 1995, Division of Cardiology, UCLA School of Medicine, 0833 LeConte Avenue, Room 47-123, CHS, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1679.

Trans-fats produced by hydrogenation:
The process of hydrogenation requires a metal catalyst, like nickel, and is stopped when the margarine looks butter-like, without regard to the "unnatural" fat by-products, which have been produced (1). These by-products include trans fatty acids, lipid peroxides and other potentially toxic compounds. Some large studies have been published, which suggest that ingestion of trans fatty acids are considered a risk factor for heart disease (2). Trans fatty acids can also block the body’s ability to use EFAs in the production of eicosanoids and they may lessen the transfer of the life giving nutrient, oxygen, across cell membranes (3).

References:
1. Erasmus U. Fats and Oils. Alive Books, Vancouver, Canada, pp 84-89, 1986.
2. Mensink RP, Katan MB.  Effect of dietary trans fatty acids on high-density and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in healthy subjects.  N Eng J Med 323:439-445, 1990.
3. Kinsella JE, et al.  Metabolism of trans fatty acids with emphasis on the effects of trans, trans-octadecadienoate on lipid composition, essential fatty acids and prostaglandins - an overview.  Am J Clin Nutri 34:2307-2318, 1981.

Margarine really IS the quintessential "food from hell".

You can "butter me up anytime".

I love you!

Cam

P.S. I just attached a pdf article on margarine if you would like to read just a wee bit more at your leisure. Feel free to download it.

P.P.S. I just attached a Zip file of all of my Soy information. If you are a lover of soy, please read this, and then make an eddicated decision, OK? Not everything you've been told by the "Soy Board" is on the "up and up". I'd say that convincing us to consume more soy is akin to torturing us. And if the group that does it is the Soy board, we might want to register this torture as "soyboarding". It's worse than "waterboarding" because they indoctrinate us so that we want to do it to ourselves! Then they don't have to take the blame, the soyturds!

38 comments:

  1. What tha...???

    Sorry, Babe. It's too early and unfortunately i have not had enough coffee for all this.

    I know margarine sucks.

    I read how later.

    I love you, CammyMou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut 'n paste, baby. I'm practicing turning over a new leaf: providing already existing information rather than creating my own. Yep.

    I love you too! And the next time we get together, let's go for the real butter massage, and skip the margarine, even if it is cheaper, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... me likey.

    You do remember that scene fro Last Tango In Paris don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm...
    Wonder if Dr. Bob remembers that movie?

    ummmmm....

    Gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, but I can never forget the scene from the Last mango in Paris. The way the fiber stuck between her teeth, and as he kissed her he latched onto it, and pulled.... It reminds me fondly of 101 Dalmations, only in an opposite sort of way.

    What? Dr. Bob? You...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Copied and sent to my parents... again.


    Bob...

    Battery Operated Boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending to no one. Everyone I know that has a brain will read this. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you know that when the ants steer clear also that its not something we should put into our mouth...ever!

    Its a perfect example of why we should question the FDA guidelines....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember how I felt when I found out that margarine is one eeensy molecule away from being a true plastic. Inedible plastic.

    It doesn't quite taste the same. *shudder* Plastic. It's what's for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave up margarine about 20 years ago when I first learned about trans-fats. You would think that there would be less trans-fats now that everyone is aware, but packaged foods are full of them. You have to read labels everywhere...even foods in the health food stores can be loaded with them. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know Cammie. When my grandmother was living we all got butter that she churned and patted out herself right straight from fresh cow's milk. It was very very good. I ate it all my life and the last time I had my colesterol checked it was very very good and normal and nothing at all amiss there.

    I stopped eating margarine in favor of the good good butter. Yummmy. It tastes so good!

    I skimmed over the blog, forgive? I got the gist of what you were writing though and thank you. And I must say your ideas are still provocative even if you are not spending as much time blogging, its good to see you haven't left us. *smoochie*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually there is one thing that margarine is really good for; it makes an excellent degreaser. After working on my motorcycle, I just put a dollop of margarine on my hands and work it around like soap. It picks up all the nasty black grease and embedded crud. Then you just wash it all off. It's a lot easier on your hands than citrasolve, pumice based soaps, or scrub brushes.

    But as for eating the stuff...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, Rob! You're up waaaay too early! Are you OK?

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW That works???? Jase doesn't get half as dirty now as he used to working on Prowlers... but I"ll keep that in mind when he's back on sea duty. (or working on his bike)

    Freakin' COOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.P.S. And new Attachment on Soy added to this email for anyone interested...

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, Stef!

    Bob is my tall, hunky, deep voiced chiropractor who used to give me hugs every time i visited.

    Now i get a kiss too... right on the kisser... mmmmm.

    Ahhh.... it was a nice visit indeed... he smells good too.

    Oh... where were we?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was wonder how smart balance spread compares to butter or margarine. I had to get off butter when it bother my nursing baby tummies. I have not gone back to butter. If some one with time wants to do some research for me would be great. I have two new puppies to take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Smart Balance is the one without the hydrogenated oils yeah? I think I've used it before when I ran out of butter mid-cookie marathon. (Is it bad that I spread cookie eating to the masses? *carb guilt complex*)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it was Smart Balance i tried one a few years back.

    It wouldn't MELT!!!

    How ya gonna make some eggs if the butter won't melt in the pan???

    It didn't taste very good either... of course once you fall for butter, nothing else will do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been away from butter for so long now I don't even remember what it tastes like. But we are not big butter users at out house either. I love bacon. I fry a little bacon and then use that grease instead of adding butter. YUMMMMM bacon, it makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can't use bacon grease to make cookies though.... *bleargh*

    ReplyDelete
  22. ... now THAT is a freaky thought.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Actually... adding a dollop of bacon grease into the cookie batter might be kind of good....

    ReplyDelete
  24. may be one day when all watrer comes again .. you can swim on top of the sea .. because your body is plastic.. apologize my humor .. its a serious subject .. love andrea

    ReplyDelete
  25. Andrea - No no.... I love your humour. You can laugh and cry with us all you like! Please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We went out for supper last night, and there was this huge dish of little butter packets on our table... real butter... and we thought about smuggling it out and mailing it to you. If it were winter... I would have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmmmm..... morning. My jaw hurts.... I think I injured it during my last session of weights... Maybe I clenched or something... Been sore the last few days. hard to close my jaw... time to go and group-clean the neighbourhood. Thank you for buttering me up!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just as I mentioned in the "other" blog entry... The chemical structure of margarine is almost identical to the one in some kinds of plastic; that should say a lot of what Margarine comes from and how it SHOULD not be allowed for human consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  29. CG - It should indeed.

    And for those of you wondering who Centigrado is... he has taken it upon himself to watch (and comment on) each and every video I have ever made!

    And he's Canadian!

    So you gotta love him for putting up with my schtick over on YouTube, alone!

    I love you man!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Cam!!! and you should add that no.. I am not a psycho hahaha, just interested in Japan and LOVE Cam's approach to showcasing his life there... what can I say, destiny? :0)

    Thank you so much man, I truly appreciate all the great stuff you teach me (us) and your energy and great Karma!, and also, thank you for introducing me to this world of blogging (am a virgin here)...

    All my love to you and all your contacts! and hope to grow my prescence around here.

    from the cold but pretty shores of the North Atlantic!

    CG!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Who doesn't! They make great tools for pagan rituals, vampire initiations and tributes to volcanoes, what would the world be without virgins!?!?

    No Martha Stuwart!? No Condoleza Rice!? can you imagine?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yes, Axe Murderer's, Inc sacrifices them regularly. Mwahahahahaaa

    Oh, uhm... I mean...

    Hi Centigrado! It's great to see ya here - welcome welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well thank you Jade, Nothing says happy Monday as the thoughts of Axe Murders hidding in the back on my courtain shower... hahaha :0)

    I am liking how your gang thinks Cam ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Any time, hon! :o) We aim to please around these parts. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  35. CG - I'm just one of the cogs of the entire machine. It's a big machine, and it runs spectacularly well, fueled entirely by Globalized Love.

    ReplyDelete