Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spring on Jouhouji

Yesterday I went for a bike ride. I thought it might rain, but the clouds did not turn so the ride was a success.

I have not been on my bike since last November so I don't have the legs, arms, hands or back for it yet. Therefore I decided to take it easy and just road ride my bike up into the mountains.

Across the Kuzuryu River is a campground up at the 500-600m elevation (1m = roughly 1yard). The paved road that goes up is fairly steep and yes, it kicked my ass. Luckily the BCAAs I took gave me the energy to make it to the top because when I got there, I was once again able to enjoy the beautiful sakura still in full bloom at the higher altitude.

Although the spring flowers are coming out at the lower altitudes, the mountains are still wearing their winter cloak: brown. I think that in a couple of weeks we will start to see the brilliant spring green that I love so much. But for the time being, we are still living in a world of blue skies, brown/grey mountain peaks, and budding flowers amidst water-filled, reflective rice paddies.

It was a 12km trip from door to campground. The trip took one hour and fifteen minutes to get up to the top, and thirty minutes to get back home. My max speed coming down the winding mountain road was 55kmh (about 30mph). The steepest part took about 50 minutes to climb, and only 10 minutes to descent so you can visualize the kind of trip it was.

Enough of the textural descriptions... Enjoy the scenery as did I.
(photos taken with my cell phone so the quality is not as good as it could be).

I love you!

Cam

23 comments:

  1. So pretty... Even the grays and browns are pretty!!!

    I get twitchy going that fast on a bike - I guess I don't trust myself to maintain control? I'm so glad the rain held off and you were able to have a good ride! I bet the mountain missed you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jaime... I get scared going that fast on a bike..... too many bad memories... yikes. I still have gravel in my shoulder from when I was about 13...... they offered to remove it for me... but it's only about two or three little pieces.... and they don't bother me... they can stay.


    Glad your ride was a success....

    I spent the day in my flower gardens... and got quite the sunburn.. but it was worth it.


    I love you!

    *waves to Jaime*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Show me! Show me!!

    I just came back from cycling into Fukui/Starbucks.

    That BCAA sure does seem to help for recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah spring.

    Ahh the colours.

    Ahhh, the fresh air.

    Ahhhh.. ahhhh... ahh....AAHHH.....CHOOO!!!!

    Yep. the allergy season is back with a vengence this year.

    I spent most of the day in the garden, then spen the evening rubbing my eyes and nose and wishing i could scratch my throat....UGH.

    Then i took a Zyrtec, which never used to make me drowsy, but this time... i was in bed by 10pm.

    Beautiful shots, Mou. I'm glad you got out on the bike again.

    And now i'm off to work.

    Sundays are usually busy but i'll take my laptop and try to catch all your other work when i have down time...sheesh was it THREE videos?

    sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. Four.

    And I went out to Starbucks by bike today as well.... No videos for that trip.

    Have a good day, and I'm sorry the allergy season is getting you!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your camera phone takes pretty good pictures. It rained here all day yesterday so I stayed inside and got lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice rees.....Thanks for not posting a long winded video...

    ReplyDelete
  8. JI - A week or so ago, you had mentioned off-handed that you would be seeing Paula again sometime around this time. I can't remember but 14th or 19th seems to stick in my mind. Has that time come and gone? And did you two link up again? I hope so; it's always nice to see how the two of you update us after the time has come and gone. Have a great evening over there.

    OH wait! I wanted to ask you... I just read in Yahoo Propaganda News, that they are decommissioning the "camelo" buses in Havanna. Do you recall ever riding on one when you were a child? I'm just curious as it was an interesting read to learn about that bus system and the fact that they could hold 400 sardines at a time! That's like a jumbo jet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with Paula right now.

    I was not around to ride the camellos....They came aroubd way after I had left the island.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just came back from getting a pedicure....Having a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good good... (about the pedicure). Well, please tell Paula I said hi, and enjoy the rest of the time there. Are you just on holiday? Or are you also combining it with work? And are you there, or is she there?

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're both here dude!!..I'm in Arizona. She says hi....but she still thinks your videos should be shorter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cam, Wonderful shots, so brilliant in so many different ways :) ... good food for the soul, great medicine for the senses.. as for the biking... well, if I had those views, I guess I would have to beging doing it! what a treat! but yeah, bikes and I usually didnt agree... when I was younger my accidents while biking were almost legendary. :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CG - All the more reason to get back on them and pick right up where you started off! Don't let the bike beat you. You are the master of your bikingverse!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GET A LITTLE CLOSER TO YOUR SUBJECT....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the advice, JI. Taken with my cell phone, it was difficult to take anything that was really very good, but I do understand what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahaha, but my ass has grown ever since and I dont do weel with the seats now, I will try again this summer tho, I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ride, Thanks for taking us along, and doing all the leg work. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those trees are beautiful !!! I am going to go look at the video !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous trees!

    It is coming here as well, slowly, that pretty, fresh, crisp spring green.....

    ReplyDelete