Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Blueberry Nights

Rating:
Category:Movies
Genre: Other
Mayu and I arrived 20 minutes late into this movie, but it didn't make a difference. I found it extremely tedious, the cinematography was a failed attempt at mixing euro-style, with sundance and the weirdness of David Lynch.

Nora Jones was like a zombie in the movie, and I hope I never have to see her act again.

Jude Law and Natalie Portman played their roles very well. If they weren't in this movie I swear I would have walked out.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, most definitely DO NOT see it at theatre prices; it is NOT a "must see on big screen" movie.

And in my opinion, if you haven't seen it, don't spend any money on it at all.

This was Wong Kar Wai's first English language movie, and um... well, the next time I go to the movies I'll make sure he's not directing them. I was left with the impression that they were trying to "cut costs" by having it done "in china".

Please... having a distorted closeup of someone chewing on blueberry pie for 20 seconds, through stained glass headlamps was just too much.

I hope that Norah sticks to singing, even though I must admit that her "cool jazz" voice bores me and although we both have tried our best, neither Mayu nor I can listen to more than one song, two at max, consecutively of hers.

At least Jude Law was quite good looking in this one (as usual). So there was "some" redeeming factor to it...

Here's Yahoo's review if you want a little more than my un-cultured opinion...

After a rough break-up, Elizabeth sets out on a journey across America, leaving behind a life of memories, a dream and a soulful new friend; a cafe owner--all while in search of something to mend her broken heart. Waitressing her way through the country, Elizabeth befriends others whose yearnings are greater than hers, including a troubled cop and his estranged wife and a down-on-her luck gambler with a score to settle. Through these individuals, Elizabeth witnesses the true depths of loneliness and emptiness, and begins to understand that her own journey is part of a greater exploration within herself.

Production Status: Released

Genres: Art/Foreign, Comedy, Drama and Romance

Running Time: 1 hr. 30 min.

Release Date: April 4th, 2008 (limited)

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for mature thematic material including violence, drinking and smoking.

Distributors: The Weinstein Company

Production Co.: Jet Tone Films, Block 2 Pictures, Lou-Yi Ltd., Studio Canal

U.S. Box Office: $74,146 <--------- (tell you anything?)

Filming Locations: New York, New York, USA
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Ely, Nevada, USA

Produced in: Hong Kong

24 comments:

  1. well after your review I would rate it a star only because Jude Law is in it. I will not waste my dollars.
    Love ya.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not really my cup of tea, as far as movies are concerned, so I'll just avoid it altogether.

    Very honest review, so I know where I'm coming from now on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not my kinda movie... sorry you guys had to suffer through it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of this movie.... No surprise though.. I don't
    spend my $$ heading to the movies much anymore. So many films
    just suck these days. For two people to go to the movie.. have Popcorn..
    two medium drinks and 1 bag of twizzlers.... you are looking at almost $50.
    I want something for my $$.... Hollywood is just not delivering!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PC - VERY good point. Movies here cost $17.50 standard per head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twizzlers, Nance?

    If you must do the candy thing stop at the convenience store on the way... 3/$1.00.

    I must have movie theater popcorn, however... mmmmm!

    I've considered going into the movie house just to buy popcorn to take out.

    Is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is Jen! I have done that myself or if one of the kids has gone told me to bring me some home. I am with you love movie theater popcorn....nothin' like it!
    Cam, $17.50 a head? Good grief!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually stopped in and bought the popcorn... So yes... they do allow.

    I do "sneak" in the twizzlers when I plan ahead... Wish I could figure out how to take in a fountain drink from the 7-11. Big Gulp.... $.99.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can buy beer at the concession stands and take them into movies.

    And yes, I AM that bold in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beer and popcorn... mmmm.... zzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well ..... we will see about that.... someday....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sure hope so. Though the funny thing is that Chaos and Steve thought I was unbelievably quiet, while Robin thought I was "me", and Jenny thought I was "weird", and Carrie thought I looked good in a swimsuit (she has a one-track mind), and Jose thought I needed a haircut, and Paula thought I was chatty enough. I could go on, but... enough about me, tell me about you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll add that to the list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAHAHAHAHAH...
    I love you, Nancy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooo- sounds horrid! I'll skip it, thanks for the advice! No-one but David Lynch should attempt David Lynch style!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. But did Nora sing? Love her voice.

    Beer in theatres? I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is the best comedy i have ever read! I swear if they ever show it here which they never will, I would stand up and read this bolg to liven up the show. It costs $20 TTd which is 3.50 USd, but I am not paid in USD.
    Cameron, eeternally grateful for the bout of sniggering you just induced.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want you to paste you rhair back on it was so sexy! Ignore that Jose guy what does he know anyway?
    And face it-you love the attention.
    Love you,
    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michelle, he faced that long ago.

    He doesn't call himself Mr. Narcissus for nuthin! LOL...

    Adorable lil attention whore.

    ReplyDelete