Monday, April 28, 2008

Globalized Broadband in ACTION

In my previous blog I talked about the "need for speed" and how high speed broadband internet access is changing everything everything EVERYTHING about our lives. This is not just from a child's perspective who grows up with e-mail and no longer needs to even comprehend how it took one month for a letter sent to get a return reply when I first came to Japan 20 years ago. Now they contact their friends in Timbukthree instantaneously to ... coordinate shoelace colours for the day!

No, I mean on a deeper level... business has changed dramatically, jobs have shifted and continue to shift to "cheaper, less developed countries". Those countries GDP and economy is skyrocketing while their generation gaps fly apart at a pace us in the west cannot even comprehend. Where our food comes from has changed, how we educate ourselves, argue, get news, make decisions, carry out terrorist activities, are brainwashed by our own governments and foreign multinationals ... it has all changed.

And not entirely for the good of humanity.

But today don't want to point out the negative aspects of this technology; I'll leave that to the naysayers and harbingers of Armageddon (a Jehovah visited me this morning to tell me about .... can you tell?) I want to show you one of the GOOD things that this instant communication high-speed broadband has brought us.

As you know, people are living much longer than they used to which means that they need a lot more care than they used to need for a much longer time. Life has gotten tougher forcing families to "splinter" into nuclear units where the parents live on their own while their children bring up their own families. As the elderly continue to age and are no longer able to care for themselves they require more attention...

A company in Sweden has started exploited the power of the internet to meet this very important need:  ACTION

Here is what they say on their top page:

"ACTION is a service for frail older persons who prefer to stay and live in their own homes but who are in need of support from nurses and relatives. These old people and their relatives are provided with information and training to help them make their everyday life easier and more comfortable. The ACTION service includes the provision of a videophone which can be used for communicating with the nurses and other ACTION families."

And here are just a few of their results from their website:

  • family-carers feel safer and more competent in their role of caring
  • the older people and their relatives develop informal support networks with other families more readily and with greater ease
  • whilst there are cost savings for municipalities, there is at the same time improvement in the quality of life of both the cared and the carers

I think this is an absolutely WONDERFUL way to show love and care-giving for those who raised us into this world. It's a fantastic way to exploit the power of a system that interconnects us all.

Take a look at their website and see what it's all about. It won't take a lot of your time, but it will show you how we can utilize the tools we have developed for the greater good: ACTION

Globalized Love is not just about us here on the blogs, it extends waaay beyond that to all the nooks and crannies of the multiverse. All you need to do is take a little time and think about how you can make a difference.

Mari, my friend from Sweden who bought a huge number of kimonos to make her rag rugs, is involved in this project. This is not just "a company out there" doing this; this is the business that Mari is in! And it is wonderful!! Thank you Mari for sharing this with me.

I love you!

Cam

19 comments:

  1. WOW! That is an outstanding idea!!!! I'm so stoked about that - it's wonderfulwonderful WONDERFUL. I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be great if there were people connected to us in different parts of the world who had contacts in their local governments, or health-care related fields who might see this and think... "yeah....." and then get the ball rolling in their neck of the woods? I think THAT would be even MORE wonderful because it would show the real power of the Globalized Love Network!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one who works in the health care field, I think this is an awesome thing. I wish I could be hooked up with one of these folks and just bring a little global love on maybe a weekly basis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Ya know...... *ponders* A friend of mine back in Indiana works with nursing home and assisted living management. I think I"ll pass this on to her to see what she has to say?

    Military spouses sort of do something similar already with support forums, chat groups, etc... but if there was something like this that was more standardized with more specific networking capabilities...... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOOOOOOOO........I am totally excited at the thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the most recent issue of The Economist, a special section on "the connected world" described how the current demographics entering the workplace will be "nomadic," in that they won't have a specific location to do their work. These people are already adept at blurring the distinctions between "virtual reality" and their "real lives." Think of it: virtual romance becomes real at the point of contact. "Gaming" scenarios are ushering-in the next generation of F-16 fighter pilots, and VOIP has made it so that as long as I'm "here," it doesn't matter where "here" is.

    A colleague worked on the pre-production of "Mission to Mars" for Warner Brothers a few years ago. She said that the R & D people at Sony scared the crap out of her with their revelations of what they've been working on. ...Wooo, baby!!

    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-rJzSx8E.abI8FN2VP3S_DVTy?p=536

    I still maintain that the greatest challenge of "The Information Age," is knowing what to ignore. Good that you're our man in Tokyo, Cam san...

    ReplyDelete
  7. TC - Excellent reply! Thank you. The Octogenerionomads are going to need appropriate healthcare to take with them on their sojourns then and this might be the way to do it...

    Yes, thanks. Except I'm not in Tokyo... That would be Matt, aka Harmaceutical.

    Heading out to the yard to pick weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will you come and pick weeds for me...in fact mow the lawn?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if this could be truly globalized. I didn't know the exchange rate in USD for their fee, but i imagine it's paid for by the health care plans of Sweden.

    I think you know what i'm getting at when it comes to devising such a plan here in the states. How would it be paid for. What health care agencies would staff it and how would they be paid.

    You tell me, Mou...

    Do you see it working in the States under present circumstances... which, hopefully...praise JEEZUS, please... will no longer be the circumstances after our coming election?

    The Swedes are experts at community and family based ccare. Mari and this company of hers proves that.

    I would LOVE to see something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen - I think you'd need..... OMG! *SSSSSSSOCIALIZED MMMMMMEDICINE* !!!!!!!!!! for this to work. One step away from CCCCommunnnisssszzzmmmmmmOOMMMGGG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh a doc friend of mine was talking about this
    awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carrie. Did the squirrels decide to rev up your network for you today? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This idea is simply brilliant, and what an opportunity for anyone who would like to invest in this as I can easily see it growing to be a core aspect of the health system of developed countries.

    E-Health is a concept that has been around for a while with some skepticism from health profesionals and caregivers. but I see this as an perfect example os what a well designed system can do for the whole industry.

    We need to consider a few factors for the success of this program tho. Provisioning of a fast, reliable and robust wide area network (which is what the Internet runs on) should be extended to rural areas, which is where I could see the biggest needs for these services are. as I think the communication should be constant.

    Down times for the network should be reduced to quality regulated standards to ensure that nobody is in risk of loosing communication when is needed, and emergency systems for these cases should also be implemented.

    The network of profesionals that should be available to function as service givers should be extent enough, as the needs of elderly people go from simple health issues to more complex psychological and psychiatric problems.

    and most importantly, a culture of trust should be fomented among the elderly people who would be the users of this system to allow them use it without feeling intimidated or overwhealmed.

    I remember when I was 14, in 1994, the first time I used the real internet, it was one of those BBS server rooms, and they were totally text based, I felt amazed by it, and the fact that we COULD talk and communicate globally. Ever since, I have seen the Internet grow and develop to levels that I could and wanted to anticipate.

    This is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CG - Excellent points! I should try to get Mari over here so we can see if any of this has been considered in that company above in which she works. Rural is a great point as well as many elderly people would probably appreciate this especially IF they could stay rural.

    Currently much of the rural internet is still powered by squirrels running back and forth on the hydro lines, creating a magnetic resonance of about 1-8kbps. Carrie down there runs on that, as does our friend Wabbit over in PQ.

    It might be a tad difficult... How could you say, "Help me! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

    The video of that event would be spectacular, though...

    Stop

    frame


    photography.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we dont have squirrels in PR
    we have mongoose
    piss them off and they eat your line
    **sigh**

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carrie - I didn't realize you were MongooseNet. I always thought the connection was SquirrelNet. My appolo G's (I wonder how many there were...?)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahah, you are hillarious Cam; I am particularely interested in the cultural impact of technology, post-Internet as I have wtinessed first hand all of its evolution.

    But here in Canada I can see how rural access to high speed Internet services could revolutionize the life of many people, and through programs like the one you described, of elders.

    I may be taking a faculty position in Sept that will be focused on IT training for the "real world" and one ofthe topics I would love to include is "e-health" and many of the cross disciplinary uses of technology.

    If you have any questions, ask away, I can be of some help in this department

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. CG - Well feel free to use that Swedish company as an excellent example of e-Health in A-ction!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a sound idea!
    Though the one thing that bugs me is the outsourcing of work when our own economies are suffering! I have nothing against the concept of outsourcing itself But in boomtime not in recession!
    The health scheme can only be good for all involved though :)

    ReplyDelete