Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Weighing in: Kindle VS iPad2

OK, I have really wanted to do this for a long time as device weight IS an issue for commuting in the Tokyo rush hour trains and you can never truly trust manufacturer specs to reflect "street specs" .

Kindle with book cover: 450g
iPad2 with smart cover: 750g

And there you have it. It's kind of like reading the automaker's fuel specs and then actually calculating the real specs with your car loaded how YOU want it.

Have a great day!
I love you.

Cam

P.S. For those of you unfamiliar with metric weights, 454g = 1lb. That should give you a better idea in your head what kind of weight we are dealing with here.

5 comments:

  1. It might not SEEM like much of a difference, but man after awhile, every bit counts!

    For now, the iPad2 does have a lot more functionality, so depending on your needs/desires the iPad may be more ideal - but for ereading? Kindle wins for me!!! Of course, I have the kindle app on my phone, and I had one on my itouch when in Japan, so I just carried that with me instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is almost double. I have been testing the weight on the train coming home. The arm gets tired holding it up. It IS a big difference. I wonder if the K4 will have a touch screen, and if so, will the readability be affected? The matte screens suffer from touch-sensitivity which is why the iPads have such a gorgeous glossy screen (which is terrible for reading in sunlight). Kindle beats out the iPad for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it will be PERFECT for my Mom to sit up in the living room and type emails, watch my YouTube videos, Skype with my brother, Bruce, and even read books. That's the reason why I got this iPad; not for me, for them. I don't need one. I want to get a handheld tablet after a couple generations settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IPads are also bigger, Cam. It`s ok if you carry a man bag or a rucksack all the time, but if you don`t it`s more practical to have the Kindle. IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have both here, Steve. The iPad2 with the smart cover feels very nice. But it is bigger, and exactly as you say, if you don't carry around a big bag all the time like those artsy-fartsy guys do, then a Kindle, or even a "kindle-app" would be better (screen is a bit small for a book on a phone, though, I think).

    ReplyDelete