Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lost in Translation II: The Takeaway (for me)

Celeste just wrote a wonderful reply to my Lost in Translation blog that I wrote earlier this morning, explaining a similar experience she had with respect to her brain not being able to slap any labels on something she visually experienced. This was my reply to her....
 
I think that another takeaway for me in this "exercise" if you will, is that we really need to strive to become AWARE of our own thought processes. Because our brains DO label things naturally (it's how we learn), if we are fed the wrong labels, or inappropriate labels we can often come to wrong conclusions.

This can be seen quite readily in the political debates, and the battles that those who deem themselves "liberals" have with those who deem themselves "conservatives". Incorrect information, misleading information, partial information, if fed to us "correctly" can truly colour how we see the world. This will then affect our judgement and how we act and react to other things that we see. This is what we would call one of our "JBOPPs" or "Judgements, Beliefs, Opinions, Positions and Prejudices". We all have them. We can't NOT have them.

But.....

But....


if we become AWARE, and MINDFUL, and are able to be the OBSERVER of our thoughts, rather than controlled by them... if we are able to understand that our mind belongs to us, but we are not our mind, then when an incongruous belief system based upon the labels we have learned to place on things arises, we can say...

woah...

wait a minute....

something isn't right here...

the thoughts my brain is having don't match the real world results...

so something is amiss...

let's look further into this.

This will then allow us to make changes in how we see things, or to "Choose to see things differently" from how we always have.

This is how we can grow.

But if we are unable to do this, then we stick extremely stubbornly like flies to flypaper, unable to separate ourselves from our belief systems, unable to make changes to the way we think when it is blatantly obvious that change is imperative.

And that can be a very slippery slope because then our egos, our very powerful egos start to defend our JBOPPs even when it is clearly obvious that what we are thinking is simply not true. But the ego refuses to be wrong, as wrong = death. So it will fight to the bitter end defending that which we perceive is correct, even when the entire world around us is screaming, "LOOOOOK!!!!!!"

This is a very important thing I have learned this year: to become the observer of your mind, the observer of your thoughts FREES you to change the way you see things, thus changing the way the world is.

18 comments:

  1. Interesting...

    Though since i just came home, i have no idea what the exercise is or to what you are referring.

    Though i get it on a wider level, so i guess it doesn't matter.

    Was just curious as to the genesis of all this.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because you missed Lost in Translation. You need to read that first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...sowwy...

    checking #1 now...

    duh... don't i look foolish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all, Jen. Not at all. If others are writing as I am, then my #1 will just simply get pushed off your page and all you'll see is #2. It happens to me all the time. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to read these; they are somewhat longish... I appreciate it. I appreciate you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we do not KNOW ourselves....from head to toe, inside and out, no one else can know us.

    How simple is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cam... I too have been working on my JBOPPS and.... yanno... all of these ups and downs.. normal every day stuff.... didnt' prepare me for a tragic event. I simply... couldn't breathe. I tried.. I stopped... I said the words... and my body just... wouldn't cooperate. It took awhile for the shock to wear off so that I COULD become the observer. I did the exercise.. and it was a very curious thing.. to watch myself go about my kitchen duties... and see me... sit at the bar and rub my temples and cry.... and... really see myself as if I was standing by the table in the kitchen watching.... it was surreal.. and it worked. I was able to identify my saddness, my fears, my pain... and... then let it go.

    Which is not to say.. I haven't picked it back up several times today.. but that doesn't mean I failed. It simply means... I need to let it go again. AND... each time, it's a little easier.


    Anywhoo... that is that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stefnee - That is a pretty powerful progress! Wow... you really are doing an amazing job at growing, at expanding, at learning, and taking control of your own mind, and not letting it control you through the incident --> memory --> thought --> emotion --> chemical excretion --> physical response --> emotion --> --> that most everyone is trapped in. I see you truly DO understand "the gap".

    I love you for your growth, and your ability to be able to look at your own mind, and own the thoughts, rather than be owned by them.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cam... I went throuth the incident.... etc.. to the emotion... but with help.. I was able to find my center... and hang on. THEN... I could find the gap.

    Yanno... how when you spin circles... you have to keep your eye on something steady... or you'll fall? Kinda like that..... I can spin.. but... I need to keep my eye on my steady so that if I start to fall... I find my center.

    if that makes sense.


    I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes very good sense.

    Unfortunately I can't spin; I puke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah.. and I'd laugh at how dumb you look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if this applies, but I found your observation about how the brain "labels" things very astute. It reminded me of this little fun game. Try it out when you have a chance. It's called, "name the colors". It's fascinatingly difficult. http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/words.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Damn,
    I thought the take away message was going to be something along the lines of... don't invade and occupy a country and spend decades trying to destroy their language and culture or they might get pissed off and abduct your citizens after they final throw off your imperial yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very thought-provoking, Cam... in fact... I'll have to think about it some, and get back to it...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alan - Did it move you to tears? A little closer than the last one? Hmmm? Please????

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not quite to tears –sorry, Cam!–but it was a nudge further in a direction I've been heading for awhile... it started about a 1 1/2 yrs ago... right after you got Steph to turn her life upside down and reinvent it... she's been holding onto my pinky finger, urging me onward into that Scary, Dark Forest called "Change"....

    The place where I'm at... it reminds me of a song I heard once, and the lyric that went : "Here I stand at the crossroad's edge/afraid to reach out for eternity... one look back reminds, and I see/that was someone else, not me..."

    I have, in the last year, become much more aware of what I'm thinking any given moment, where those thoughts came from, where they lead, and how they affect my world.

    I'm still processing, though, trying to find my footing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Damn! I'll keep trying, Alan. I promise! We'll get you bawling one of these, days, weeks, months, years.... yet. I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Crying is good for the soul. It took me a long time to get there. Then for a while I could not stop crying. Now I'm more in balance. Crying, Letting it go and then moving on.

    ReplyDelete