Monday, September 8, 2008

Fertilizing the Way

I have had absolutely nothing exciting happening to me over in this part of the world worth sharing at all: no new ideas, no breathtaking (or giving) inspirational newage wackhead ideas... nothing. Really, desertification has taken hold of my brain.

Let me show you how exciting life is these days over here....

A while back, after my shingles had begun to heal, we found that our composter was getting very difficult to manually rotate the blades and mix the food clippings into the peat in the container. In fact, it seemed that the blades would pop out of their slots more often than not.

A few weeks ago I dug the entire composter out and spread it under the bushes, the trees and places where maybe fertilizer might like to go. I even turned it under the localized soil so that it wouldn't just sit on top of the hard earth and burn the roots and leaves (compost that becomes fertilizer is apparently, pretty potent stuff, and I have found on more than one occasion that playing in it can lead to very itchy, rashy arms...)

That was exciting, don't you think?

Here is something else that I'm sure you will giggle with enthusiasm over...

Since I got sick with the shingles, the sunlight and the heat have bothered me. This has made it difficult for me to go out into the yard and weed. Mayu has been busy this year and didn't really get around to it either. The last time I did a "comprehensive weeding" was before I went to Texas and Kansas. But the weeds kept growing, even though I wasn't out there pulling them.

Finally several days ago I spent five hours on one section alone, just pulling up the weeds. Yaaay, exciting stuff. Then the day before yesterday I spent another two or more hours going around the rest of the yard on my hands and knees pulling up more weeds. And more weeds and more weeds.

I know, you are falling asleep... so am I, believe me. Gah! Talking about weeding and composting as exciting events in my life!

When I was out weeding around the composter I realized that something other than weeds were growing around the bushes which received the compost. I found that to be slightly more fascinating than the clumps of earth the deepset weed roots would take with them as I pulled them up. As I have absolutely no idea what is growing there, I decided to leave them and see what happens. More than likely it will turn into a genetically defective, late season flop of some vegetable that we eat and compost.

The interesting (but fleeting - weeding can be mind numbing even if you try to do it mindfully...) thought I had while I was out there, was that at times, we can inadvertently "seed the soil" with things that grow beyond our circle of influence into new ideas, new concepts, new ... stuff that can be a benefit or a detriment to the those who are affected by the growth.

All I did was take the compost and put it under the bushes, hoping they would benefit from the act. Little did I realize that this simple act would result in the growth of a totally new plant! In fact, not only is one plant growing there, but as you can see in this photo, there are two completely different ... things that decided to grace my soil!

The results I expected were quite different from those that I got.

Maybe it's a giant beanstalk!

I love you!

Cam

 

P.S. I went for a ride up "urayama" today, and the insects were swarming while I rode on the concrete. But once I got higher up, and into the gravel roads, there was so much summer overgrowth that I found myself in a jungle, a veritable sea of green weeds that eventually prevented me from continuing up the hill, due to their density. Those tiny little plants grew and grew until they were a wall that stood in my way.

34 comments:

  1. Looks like cucumber.
    When you composted your kitchen scraps the seeds from some veggies (and mostly weeds) survive and grow.

    Could be anything but my guess is cucumber.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OO, Cucumbers covered with French dressing....YUM!

    Cam, come visit, I'll give you some excitement.....er....yeah, ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being an apartment dweller for most of the last 2 decades, the few times I've found myself living in a house, I've become more of an "incomprehensive weeder". That is, being unsure if it's a weed or not, I'm pretty much happy to just let it do what it will. And, enjoy a beer while watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm lets say its a bean stalk and what adventures will cam get up to when it grows..up to the golden hen!!! hugsxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt - I LIKE that philosophy! But being an "incomprehensive weeder" is much better than an "incomprehensive whiner". To Beer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever inadvertantly had two different plants grow out of the same root/stalk/whatever? I saw this recently at a friend's house... she has an extremely unkempt yard, and I was noticing the bushes beside her front porch needed trimming badly... and then I noticed something even more odd... there was what appeared to be some kind of wild weed with leaves that sort of resembled the plant in picture #2... at the top though, right out of the central stalk sprouted five or six leaves that looked similar to the leaves sported by poison ivy, although they looked more like marijuana to me(which, knowing this friend, would not surprise me). But the thing is, they were sprouting out of the same root! Is this possible?

    BTW... thanks for the slice of your life. Your words made it entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother had shingles on her shoulder several years ago; she is still unable to stand the sun shining on the place that the shingles was broke out the most.

    "Weeding" that is not a word in my vocabulary....lol.

    In the last picture 2 of the plants look like tomatoes. The other plants could they be eggplant.

    Nothing is happening here either, Cam.

    Drop by some time and hope to hear from you soon.

    Hand shake...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan - I have to admit that I have not experienced the joy of discovering a new plant species such as you did! Wow, that must have seriously been "weed for thought!" Maybe it was some hybrid or cross bred poison ivy marijuana plant! I wonder what kind of high one would get from that?

    Jalopy - Thank you. Weeding is good for the soul. Especially because you see real life defined results as you move through the yard pulling bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, I did not say I don't do weeding...it is just a word that I don't use. It is like that word...'work' Don't mind to do work, just don't mention it.......lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you put newspaper in your garden, under the soil, less weeds grow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like being in the now is a bit boring or triffel (always wanted to use that word but fear I have spelled it wrong). Nothing happening here except running a campaign, learning to breathe in new climate and loving life.
    Love ya,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  12. But Deb.... it's not a garden... it's a yard! (Damn, that sounds so much like that Israeli jargon "It's not a wall, it's a fence!")

    Michelle - How about the healing of the snuffles? You should take up mountain biking!!! Colorado is a mountain biker's mecca! Do it! Do it for me!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wanted to climb Jack's beanstalk!

    ReplyDelete
  14. growing a mystery plaint sound exciting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jen - I have no idea. I'll let you know if it sprouts anything...

    Rachel - I KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. it looks like tomato and cucumber to me....

    ReplyDelete
  17. No Cam, I won't climb Jack's cucumber either *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nor partake in his succulent tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nothing would happen interesting to me either if I walked around with my arm pits showing.!~!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG...JIM!!!

    Laughing so hard i'm having a coughing fit.

    I think i may have asthma... it's your fault i'm having an attack!

    SO funny, James!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have lots of interesting things happening in my life and You don't see me with my arm pits showing. That proves it. Walking around with your arm pits showing make all the interesting things RUN away.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think of most repetetive tasks as meditative. They allow freedom of consciousness while occupying the body, an elegant way to evade distraction. Lots of that to do here as it's been raining. Tropical weeds have sprung up 1-2 feet while I've been hampered.

    Unconditional Love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. RC, lets hope that Cam used his deodorant when he was running around like that.

    Jim, that was a good one. Still laughing........ I could show more and still not have any excitement.

    Hello Jen, breathe in slowly....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jalopy - Perhaps a bit shrivelled? Perhaps disshevelled?

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL Now i have to do something to get the image out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rachel - Just think of you hugging me the Last Sunday of June!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so much better. What a nice and lovely memory. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete