Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lost in Translation

In the 1970s and 80s, North Korea quietly invaded the coastal towns and villages on the side of the country where I live. They then proceeded to kidnap between 10-20 people during those decades for the purpose of using them to teach North Korean spies how to assimilate into Japanese culture.

Japan has been pushing North Korea every chance it gets for years. In 2002 the U.N. terminated a probe based upon "insufficient information", shocking the country and the victims. North Korea has denied the allegations repeatedly, which has led to further blockading by the country, and very strained ties.

The families will not let the government stop, or give up, in spite of there being very little global support regarding this grave issue.

Some have died over the years (according to the North Koreans). A few years a go a family was liberated to Japan. These kidnappees are now in their mid to late 40s. They were forced to marry in Korea, have children, and take on a new life teaching Japanese, and culture to the government and spies. They have been there (unofficially) for over 30 years.

Their families have been without their children for over 30 years.

The families in Japan do not know if their own children are alive or dead.... they can have no closure... they can have no peace...

When I was at the gym last week two people came in to work out. One was a young guy all in black with the typical "Japanese beard" they like to sport these days (that little bit that runs along the jawline). I noted him, and went about my workout.

But it was the woman that was with him that caught my attention. For the entire time that I was there I could not stop finding instances to watch her, and look at her from different angles, to see her... to understand her...

I didn't find her particularly attractive, or unattractive. In fact, had she been just another ordinary person, gorgeous or not, my mind would have registered her presence, just like it did the guy she was with, or anyone else that came and went during the two hours I was there.

But this time... something was different...

I could not tell, in all honesty if this woman really was a woman... or an extremely feminine man.

And this is where my brain went haywire: it could not determine the sex of this person, it could not have the "closure" that we need when we see things, "box" them, "label" them man, woman, cat, dog, hamburger, bad coffee, rain, flying fish, transvestite, politician, whatever. We all label. It is impossible NOT to label because that is how our minds work. That is how we learn, and grow and educate ourselves in life. It's not a good thing, it's not a bad thing, it just is.

There were so many characteristics that this person affected that were both masculine and feminine. There were so many actions that she did that could have been that of a man, but again, so many other things that men just simply do not do, but women do naturally.

Her body shape was very slender like a woman, but there were many distinctly male shapes as well. She had an adam's apple which apparently women do not have, a definite masculine wrist-to-hand shape, completely smooth (hairless) arms and legs (which very few men can get even with shaving), extremely long legs, shaped very much like mine, devoid of any of the feminine curve.

She wore a pastel yellow sports bra tank-top under her pastel green t-shirt, but her breasts were extremely small, almost negligible (not unusual for Japanese women, actually, but very rare these days), yet could have been perhaps a man transitioning while taking female growth hormones. With very loose long basketball shorts I could not tell anything definite below the waist, either. She sported a very feminine chain with a bauble on the end of it, short "emo-style" hair (thanks for that explanation, Stefnee).

Her face looked exactly like all of the young TV talent boys these days: so feminine, yet so not. They are so feminine that if you put them in makeup, you could not tell that they were anything but a woman! (this is the look that is popular among young Japanese women these days - they want very feminine-looking boys it seems).

She could have been a "boyish" volleyball player for all I could tell. When her friend was working on the machines, she would crouch down in front of him to talk, definitely not something men do, and yet, since she did very little weights (very light weights that a man would never do), when she was walking around listening to her iPod the actions, the motions were so masculine....

Maybe she was a man in transition... maybe she was a very feminine young man... maybe she was a masculine woman.. I still don't know. My brain still cannot come to a conclusion. It cannot rest.

If a gay couple or a lesbian couple had walked in, my brain would have noted them, and then moved on. No big deal. Two guys? No problem. Two women? No problem. Singles? Easy. Couples? A snap. Someone in a wheelchair? I can deal with that. Really. My brain would have been able to deal with all of that, understand it and allow me to move on. But not this time...

This was one of those very interesting events, moments in my life that occurred at a time when, being more aware of what goes on inside me and around me than ever before, being able to now be the observer of my thoughts without being controlled by them, to see things differently, has allowed me to do more than just stare, more than just gawk... more than... I don't know how to explain it... I find it fascinating how my mind is working at trying to solve this mystery. Fascinating!

Here is another great example of a similar kind of event that occurred when my brain was baffled and confused: When Mayu and I saw our first "kamoshika" (Japanese serow) in the woods, staring back at us, our brains went haywire. We could not tell what it was. Was it a cow? No... Was it a goat? No... Was it a deer? No... Was it some mythical beast? No...

It just didn't look like anything we had ever seen before, it wouldn't fit into any kind of labeled box that our brains had developed over decades of experience. Until we found out what it was, we could not get "closure" on that animal.

My brain has been having trouble getting "closure" on the sex of the woman in the gym, as is obvious by the fact that I write this blog over a week after the event occurred.

It's absolutely no wonder that the parents of the kidnapped victims off the beaches near where I live now cannot stop, cannot rest... Their brains  cannot get closure on their own children's life or death. If they were to hear that their children were alive, married, had children in North Korea and were living there never to return, closure would come. They may not be happy, and they may believe that the government is holding them in N. Korea against their will, but the life/death mystery would be solved, and a huge weight would be lifted from their shoulders.

Missing children, missing parents... it must be the same thing. The brain simply cannot stop going haywire because it is not able to come to a conclusion... any conclusion. It is left "in the dark", left without all the pieces of the puzzle to put together. Family members never coming home after a natural disaster like the killer tsunami a few years ago, or bodies never being found after Katrina... unanswered questions... the mind unable to rest, to be silent...

This latest incident at the gym, coupled with my year of meditation, learning to be the observer of my mind's thoughts, rather than to be controlled by them... this long arduous, continuous study to improve.. has opened my eyes a bit more on how the brain functions in real life situations.

I find that fascinating, and love the fact that I have been able to learn a little bit more about my brain, and what happens when it gets "Lost in Translation".

I love you.

Cam

P.S. If you would like to learn more about the kidnappings of Japanese nationals on Japanese soil by the North Koreans, please read a few of these news articles from the Japan Times.

32 comments:

  1. i felt that way about a statue at the Vatican. it was of a hermaphrodite. i could not take my eyes off of it...so beautiful, but my mind couldn't wrap around it and danced around the nuances of: what would life be like...man...woman...both, i wondered about body hair since this statue didn't possess any, procreation, breast feeding, menstration; all those things entered my mind, but my mind could offer no answers. lets call it, 'Celeste, unwrapped.'

    like you, i won't ever forget that feeling of non-sense. it was a piece of ancient artwork, but to me it was a concept that my brain couldn't wrap-around and fully grasp.

    how very sensitive of you to compare this lack of patterning and placement to the kidnapped Japanese nationals. you will have empathy for those who have no closure in life and death for your lifetime because of this mental association. you have reached a higher plane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Celeste!

    What an interesing observation! I am glad you had a similar experience; it really is fascinating....

    I just wrote a blog reply so I am going to put it in a blog! What the heck; I haven't had many ideas to write about at all these past couple of months (and that too, is OK).

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh...

    What we talked about the other night...

    Now i get it...

    Have you come to terms yet?
    After writing about it and getting it all out doesn't that help?

    I'm trying to think of such an instance but can't just yet.

    I've thought about this in many other instances and tend to think that either because i am so open to pretty much anything or maybe because i have seen so much at my "advanced" age (LOL) that there isn't much that i see that strikes my brain as so .... unusual (?.. Maybe that's not the right word) that i can't wrap my brain around it.

    Wait... thought of one...

    I can't fathom how anyone can eat ... and like...



    Natto.... ewwwwwwwww..... hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cam, I have needed closure for many things in my life....but I can honestey say nothing that compares to the missing children. Nothing could.

    Heartbreaking.

    My need for closure always seems to come on the wake of a relationship ending...friendship or more.

    The most jarring was a woman whom I had met through Mic. Her and I became quite close. When I moved in with Mic....it all stopped. In 2002. She ignored me at work (we used to take breaks together) avoided me when I ended up getting a part-time job where she transferred to when her office moved, it was....obvious that she no longer wanted anything to do with me. I was crushed! All overnight...quite literally. Mic had no clue and would not ask her. That was fne with me. It was my business, not his.

    I let it go. NOT without driving myself batty at times! I thought she cared more for Mic than she let on. But....I could not SEE that. I think it came from more of the fact that he was becoming closer to me. She missed her best friend.

    Then just recently....in July at the company picnic, to be exact, I saw her yet again. She came running up to me and threw her arms around my neck...I was dumbfounded. "Hi! How are you honey!?!?" Her exuberance was....I was just.....I think I stood there with my mouth open and my arms loosely around her back.

    So..needless to say, I never got closure. And then this....

    All water under the bridge. Either let it drown you or wade with your shoes in your hand and the cool rocks at your feet.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouk, there are some things that the brain simply can not comprehend. Like.... God. (that's why religion fails so miserably) or.. the death of a child. Some things.. the brain simply can not deal with... so they get shelved away... stored in a place... those many rooms in our brains... until later when we need (or HAVE) to deal with them.


    Good blog.


    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting that you are still struggling with this. I have come across many such instances in this country. Like you said, at the time, I could not stop myself from trying so very desperately to figure out if she is really a man or a woman. However, for me, out of site, out of mind ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She had... extremely long legs, shaped very much like mine, devoid of any of the feminine curve."

    Now don't go selling yourself short Cam; you have lovely legs. And don't think we haven't noticed.

    On a more serious note, perhaps we need to take a trip to Thailand and put your male/female discrimination skills to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob - I've seen those beauties! After their sex changes? OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have GOT to get Stef outta Kansas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NO!!

    I like my little sheltered life.

    Transvestites, homos and kidnappers....


    oh my......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stefnee... tell us about the gorgeous haired guy on the bicycle story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of the three, only the kidnappers are dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, but transvestites and homos might broaden one's horizons, and force them to open their eyes... and to some, that can be VERY dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever you say..

    Even Dorothy got out for a little while!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, but she couldn't hack it. So she went back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not scared of any of them...

    the bicycle guy... OH YEAH!!

    he's gorgeous!!

    long curly dark hair.... slender.... rides all over town shirtless with heels and a skirt and full make up....


    talk about a mind bender!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would LOVE to have coffee with him! (her)

    ReplyDelete

  18. This was interesting, I remember seeing a special on tv about this exact story a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How you descibed the woman reminds me of the ladyboys..feminie androgenous...I have zimbawean friend who always say in the west we always ned labels for things and boxes so our mind can co ordinate..what job do you do? are you gay or str8? likes dislikes.. m a people watcher too and I would aslo have found it fascinating but being aries ai would propbley of chatted and tried to find out lol..

    My thoughts to the familys of the missing children..so heartbreaking..ad definitely hard to get any closure..hugs love to you joolsx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is quite bizarre that the Koreans did that... oddly, it reminds me of a silly comedy starring John Travolta from the late eighties... he was this doofus from new York kidnapped by Russians and taken to someplace in Russia for the same reason. Bad movie... I had no idea that kind opf stuff happened for real. Sounds like the stuff of X-Files-type conspiracy theories. Not saying it is, of course... just how it sounds.

    I totally understand what you say about getting closure... there are several open seams in my life that I'd like closed... some minor... others not...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alan - Sometimes it is difficult to reach out for closure because it means we need to give up a part of our life that we have loved and enjoyed for a long time. But everything grows, everything changes, and nothing stays the same. That much I am learning about life. And there are times when this happens with things, with stuff like jobs, conversations on the blogs, relationships with friends, loved ones....

    Why? Why we always ask, you know?

    Here's what I think... just my little thought...

    When we grow, when we change, when we expand and renew ourselves as we really ought to be doing, we can make some people uncomfortable. This happens because everyone prefers stability in life, and change is an upheaval of that stability. It can make others feel uncomfortable, you know? I know... it's happening to me this year, my growth and change is affecting some around me in ways I never expected.

    So sometimes people will enjoy the new us, but at times others will not enjoy the new us. Even so, WE STILL HAVE TO CHANGE AND GROW. We can't stay the same just because others around us want us to stay that way. Does that make sense? Our children grow around us daily. Imagine what it would be like if we didn't adapt to our children's growth and we tried to keep them as children! We have to let them grow, and they have to grow. It's part of the cycle.

    So it is unfortunate, and sad, but also at the same time a healthy part of life that we need to accept, that sometimes when we change, some of those we loved and who loved us when we were our "old selves" will drift... away... And I am coming to understand that it's OK. It doesn't mean we are wrong to change. It doesn't mean they are wrong to drift away. It just means that that part of life we enjoyed friendships in has moved on to a different aspect of life.

    I especially note this with my best friends back in Canada. I rarely hear from them anymore, I rarely write... I am sooo different from the person I was before I came here, even 10 years ago, even ONE year ago... I have just continued to grow and learn about me, and reinvent myself as I am supposed to do. And some of my friends have drifted.

    But I have new friends, who love, cherish, appreciate the new me, the me I am evolving into, the changing me. And I love them for that, and I love that!

    And you know.... when it comes time for me to make another major transition, maybe some of these new friends will cut loose, and drift from me... maybe I won't be able to keep up the friendships with them... but... that's OK. I still love them, I still appreciate them, I still cherish what we had.

    And

    I

    Move

    Forward

    In

    Time.


    I really appreciate you connecting with me, Alan. I do. Thank you for appreciating me in this phase of my life for however long or short this phase may be.

    It's life.

    It's OUR life.

    And you know... it really is OK to let go and close the doors on those kinds of friendships that have just grown apart as we move down parallel paths in life, on a slightly different direction that has diverged to the extent where I can say, where my friends can say, "I love you! Good luck! Good bye! Godspeed!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's odd... but not surprising... how that was a pratical response to the post I just made on Pt. II of this blog...

    Most of my life, since I was 12 or so, has been nothing but chaotic change... I have felt pushed by the forces of... nature, for lack of a better term, for my entire adult life... even when I fooled myself into thinking I was making decisions, I can look back and see that almost everything was reactionary....

    I'd feel sometimes I am addicted to the chaos... I've talked at length with Steph about this... and I crave stability so much.... I want to have something that lasts... is that too much?

    I don't want friends I have now to be just a phase in my growth cycle, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Still haven't thought of anything that absolutely stops me, confounds me, or that i find unfathomable.

    The closest i have been able to come to a total lack of understanding is....

    Sorry. It's somewhat political...

    Here goes..

    Apologies in advance...

    I can NOT fathom the idea of Black and or Gay ...Republicans!

    *running from the room dodging thrown shoes*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ah... Alan.... that is EXACTLY where I thought you were going...

    (who deleted a comment here! Who?! Come on, you deleter!!! Own up!)

    My comment is getting too long. I hope you don't mind if I blog this... It is something that I think others may enjoy, may gleam a bit of silly wisdom from (I can always dream, right?)

    I believed a lot like you, actually for most of my life.

    To be continued....

    ReplyDelete
  25. I find it interesting that you made a point of mentioning that some Japanese girls seem to like the more feminine looking and acting men. Over the past 20 years or so in living here in the US I have observed the trend that seems to be developing even here of our young girls preferring the more feminine looking boys. I think I want to study this movement toward the feminine to see what I think it means for the human race. Because I do think its a significant event in our history. This puts my mine to spinning back to a time in college when I delved into a class in Women's Studies. I need to dig some of that back up and refresh my memory. Seems like I remember that in ancient times our world was ruled by women and that it gradually over time became the "man's" world that we are used to today. Since everything goes in cycles could it be that we are moving back to that? This is very curious!

    BTW, your blog is chock full of bits of ideas that each stand on their own merit as subjects for further blogging Cammisan.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Right now my mind is boggled with the little one inside me. Do it call the baby a him or a her? I want to call it a him but my better judgement tells me to call it a Her. I never had the struggle with my other two. I just knew they were girls. I guess that deep down I know that this one is a girl. But I really want it to be a boy. The good news is that I know that my struggle will come to an end in May. Or sooner if I got have the baby checked out. I can't even have imagine having this kind of struggle with No end in site.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rach... maybe it's one of each! A girl and a boy!

    ReplyDelete