Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm Your Number One Fan*

Yesterday as I was walking between stations to get to the second train that brings me home, there was a gentleman wearing a shirt that I have seen advertised in my Nikkei Weekly "New Goods" section. I took a photo, but didn't hit "save" at the time. My bad. The phone didn't save the picture. So, all I can do is give you my words, and let you use your imagination.

The shirt is a business-casual-style shirt, made of a cotton material. It has a collar so can be worn for work during "cool biz" season. Down around the waist, right about where the kidneys are, on each side, is a built in battery-operated fan, about the diameter of a Starbucks coffee Mug. The fans run, and pull air into the shirt, effectively ventilating the body in an attempt to keep it cool.

I know that from a NA perspective, it may seem ridiculous, or "crazy", but over here, where we have to wear suits and ties in this brutal humidity, you do what you gotta do. This is often when I envy women because they can wear minimal fabric on their bodies (and a hot bra, of course) that allows air under the clothing. (Also, if you are sitting at a desk, you can spread your legs underneath and let some air circulate; something that doesn't happen when we guys spread our legs in slacks). We have to wear long pants, socks, shoes, (a necktie) and tuck our shirt in. This fashion is not conducive to good air circulation. The air doesn't circulate, and the heat "vents" are limited to the head, the armpits (or wrists) and the tiny gap between shirt collar and neck so the body really does heat up something fierce.

The interesting thing about this shirt was that the guy looked a little bit... "puffy".

I love you!
Cam

* The name of a favourite song from The Beautiful South 

No comments:

Post a Comment