Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No Stars in the Sky!

After work I went to the location of the "TV Stars" geocache. I spent an hour staring at a very big, very old tree, overturning loose rocks and rummaging in the dirt. I am sure it is there as the hints lead directly to that tree. I found the stone carvings of Pikachu, Doraemon and more but not the cache. I did see something a little suspicious but as looking further would have put me in the owner's garden, right under the owner's eyes, I decided that prudence was the best course of action. I couldn't find the microcache. The owner of the shrine came out and started watching me hanging around his tree so I figured that between him and the horde of mosquitoes I was fending off I had best take my leave. It is an old shrine dating back to old Edo so there was a nice bit of history written along with some information about traditional japanese pickles made in the area from seeds that originally came from Kyoto in the 1600s!

I had to walk back to Gotanda Stn to go home and if you recall I had vowed to find the geocache there called "Platform in the Sky". I was back at the same area with fresh batteries in the GPS. I then thumbed through the settings and found a calibrate option, which I used. Then I tried again and this time I was able to get down to 0m distance! (As it turned out I was about 3m away from the cache...)

But I persevered... and then I found it! Inside was a logbook, pen, small charm, and teeny little paperclips that are designed as clothespins. I wrote in the log, added my small hotdog eraser, carefully put everything back so nobody would see what I was doing, (forgot to take a photo in the darkness and my excitement) and left.

I'm hungry! I spent about 1.5hrs after work on these caches, but as the gym is closed today for summer holidays I had planned to go a caching after work.

I 'll keep looking for the TV Stars cache, but as I kind of stand out here, and was watched for and talked with the people ther for some time, I'm going to have to be more stealthy the next time around.

I love you!
Cam

3 comments:

  1. I love doing this. I use the geocache APP on my iPhone. It is a fascinating past time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! I'm explaining it to the people at work, and they are all looking at me like I'm a freak (muggles do that). They all get really disappointed to hear that we return the cache, and then they think it's not interesting. I offered to several people to com with me today... nobody took me up on my offer. Their loss. Even a couple people warned me to wait until Friday because it's too hot today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leebo - Take a look at the guy called geocachespoilers in YouTube. His caches are diabolical!

    http://www.youtube.com/user/geocachespoilers

    ReplyDelete