Friday, November 6, 2009

A Stitch in Time...

At the hospital again...

I got Lucky #10 today and was in seeing the doctor by 09:10. He looked at my poor swollen pec, said that it had filled up again and that it would need cutting and draining again. I kind of figured that so today I brought a spare pair of gotch this time so I don't have to spend the day in "pain-drenched unnuhpaynts" like last Saturday.

I asked the doctor if it was a cyst and he said no; cysts are not infected. This is an infection so it is considered an abcess.

Lovely.

I have an abcessed nipple.

He also noted that my skin heals "too quickly" as the incision last Saturday shouldn't have healed by Sunday night.

So... he filled me up with anaesthetic again which hurt like piss (but not as much as the first time). As soon as he touched the scalped to the previous location I felt the pressure release and the pus and blood inside mixed with the liquid he injected squirted out like a fountain spraying his nice crisp white labcoat and facemask! I felt it squirt all over me as well. I heard the nurse say to another nurse, "I'm sure glad I wasn't standing beside the doctor!"

The doctor squeezed it out and stuffed it with gauze. This time he told me he is going to leave the gauze in for a while to prevent it from closing and that I have to come back every day to have it changed.

I apologized for squirting him. He took off his no-longer-crisp-white labcoat.

Life is full of adventures and I certainly get my fair share. But that's what living is all about, or so I believe. I'd much rather die adventuring than regretting I didn't challenge life.

I've never had an abcessed wound before so now I can add that to my list of exciting happenings! I guess I'll be working overtime to make up for the lost time.

I'm thinking it's going to start stinging when the anaesthetic wears off. It's OK right now though, an hour later...

The funny thing is that he told me I don't need any more antibiotics but rather I just need it to drain and have it cleaned. If I could re-stuff the abcess with gauze I could do it myself but I can't and that's why I need to keep coming back.

Oh! In a semi-unrelated incident... I missed my first transfer station and had to double back because I was so engrossed in my book... Sword & Sorcery can do that.

I'm meeting my translator for lunch today in Shibuya but as that is two hours away and it will only take me about 15 minutes to get there I wonder what I can do to kill the time?

Well I killed about an hour thumbing this blog... Now I guess I'll go find a Starbucks near Shibuya and settle in with my Kindle for a while. That's an enjoyable way to spend a few hours outdoors.

24 comments:

  1. I always carry around a small swiss army knife. I could have done this for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you carry around spare gauze to stuff the wound, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but the little scizzors on the swiss army knife can be used to cut up underwear for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This wouldn't have happened if you'd let me perform kitchen table expedient surgery the first time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never should have doubted your military expertise with children's safety scissors, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safety scissors?!?!

    I was just gonna use a letter opener.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hell, Rob, you could probably get the job done with a baby's milk bottle nipple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh Cam, I am behind. How did you get this abscess in the first place? Its gross but I have drained a lot of cat abscesses, and it got plenty of the gross goo on me, it stinks! Literally!!! ICK!! They do heal very well however if the keep drained. (well in cats anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know Jen, the Ginsu Steak Knife is tough enough to cut open a tin can, but still sharp enough to slice a tomato.... Or a Switzer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's alls i'm sayin, yo!

    Git yer Ginsu, Rob and get'erdone! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a kindle! I am now filled with kindle envy.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Right. So glad I'm eating lunch while reading this.


    *gag*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last night the gauze got a little wet (a lot wet) in the shower so I had to take it off. I was hoping to take just the outer gauze off and leave the "inner" gauze stuffed inside my chest. But it all slipped out... and when I tried to stuff more gauze back in by myself (couldn't do it), it bubbled, and squeaked and oozed. It was pretty gross. Yes, squeaked from the air inside the hole... *gag* is right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you can tape some gauze over it to keep it covered (for your sake as well as the next snazzy shirt you don) it'll probably be ok til you get to the hosp... that is if you're going today...
    Guess you have to now.

    Is it still gross and smelly?
    Eww ... why'd i have to go and gross myself out? Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to stuff it. That's the problem. If I don't stuff it, it closes up. Yes, I have to go again today. I don't know how smelly it is because I don't bend like that.

    Time to eat breakfast. Damn the time just zips by here in Tokyo! It's a totally different 24hrs from the 24 in Fukui. I barely have enough time to wash face, cook, clean, pack lunch, do dishes, dress, and leave!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eww... hope it wasn't too painful or yucky to pack it.
    Don't know if it would have closed up in the few hours before you got to the hospital, but it probably would have been messy.

    Have a great day, Mou.
    Hope you get a low number!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BTW, to imagine what kind of "squeak" it made... think of one of those squeaky dog toys. Then you'll understand perfectly. It was weird to hear my chest squeak...

    I couldn't get it packed. Thats my worry. I couldn't stuff new gauze back in. I hope I get a low number too. Trying to finish eating, then doing dishes, having coffee, getting dressed, brushing teeth, (primping) and leaving in less than 25 minutes....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tape it tightly (sorry if you have chest hairs...

    And get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did last night (I shave).

    Moving!

    Must take the trash out, too. xo

    ReplyDelete