Monday, November 2, 2009

My second E-book for the Kindle is "The Tales of Solomon Kane". Why? because my best friend Khanada is always talking about the actor who is playing in the latest Solomon Kane movie as she is a huge fan of his! And I LIKE Robert E. Howard as he pretty much invented the "sword & sorcery" genre. The stories are very well-written but as it was back in the 30s (I think), when he battles the "black/negro barbaric brutes" in Africa I cringe a bit because the way he describes them is kind of ... not in a way that authors would write these days... if you know what I mean. It is very noticeable. I find it interesting that I am acutely aware of that, and that in spite of it being literary genius, my comfort levels are tested.

3 comments:

  1. Try walking in MY shoes.

    When i took a film class back in college i learned to recognize the early cinematic genius of Griffith's Birth of a Nation, despite how Blacks were portrayed.

    As a matter of fact you just reminded me that i put off writing a review of the show i saw on Broadway the other night.

    The dancing was incredible and so was the music, but.... and i hesitated over this "but" so long that i forgot about the review.

    You see... the whole time i was thinking... these kids are good but.... there sure are an awful lot of White faces up there. Where is the diversity? The TV show has lots of diversity, why so little here.
    But i didn't want to be seen as... "going there" again... yanno?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. And we certainly CANNOT say that "white kids are better dancers than black kids". Now THAT would be a false statement if I've ever seen one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a lot of them were Russians and Eastern Europeans who are known for great dancing as are Latinos, which there were one or two of in the show. But it was just.... weird... not to see ONE Black face up there on a stage full of great dancers.

    ReplyDelete