Sunday, June 27, 2010

Interpreting His Holiness The Dalai Lama's Interpreters

During a lunchbreak between the morning and afternoon sessions with His Holiness The Dalai Lama (Pacifico Yokohama, 2010/06/26), Jaime and Jessica talk about what it meant to them to hear His Holiness The Dalai Lama .... get interpreted.

The Dalai Lama is an excellent speaker. The only problem is the translators during his discussion on Buddhism and Happiness (not Happyness)... well, they sucked the sweat off a dead yak's balls.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

I love you!

Cam

P.S. Jaime, link to this video.

2 comments:

  1. I will come back later to watch the video...have to run out for a bit, but wanted you to know I could see it. Its unfortunate that the translations were iffy... at best. Were you able to understand much of it at all listening to him speak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paula. When he started off in English for the second half of his talk on "Happiness", we were VERY happy because what he was saying made perfect sense. It blended in PERFECTLY with our Globalized Love. Perfect harmony. Wang Chung? But then the promoters asked him to switch back to Tibetan as his translators couldnt understand English (maybe the Taiwanese or Korean ones?) It got very convoluted then. But it was easier to comprehend than the first half on buddhism which, in itself, I am sure must be very very difficult to understand anyways, as the original documents were all done in Sangskrit, and that is apparently an ancient, and difficult language.

    My guess is that Tibetan uses a different style of speaking, and the translators were just going word for word instead of INTERPRETING what he was saying. That is where the problem arose, I imagine.

    It was a fantastic experience and I really would love to hear him talk again. But we need either better translators (interpreters), or to have him speak in English.

    Time to head out to work. Packing now, so have a good evening.

    Jen - thanks for commenting over on YouTube. I saw that. Thanks so much. I'll work on the pre and post videos soon.

    I love you both!

    Jaime - Good morning! Feeling better? I love you!!

    ReplyDelete