Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wild Wild East

As Matt, aka Harmaceutical has pointed out many times during his tour of duty here in Tokyo, The Big Rice Bowl, you can see all manners of weird and wonderful dress among the locals. There are people wearing kimono... touristy stuff... cosplay and more.

Men in dresses... women in army boots... goth... punk (cute punk)... all pinky people... girls wandering around wearing giant animal jumpsuits, and Hello Kitty toilet slippers. I have seen superheros strutting their stuff... 6 foot tall hair, long hair, short hair, and more.

Of course you can see all the hot young women in micro mini skirts and see-through summer gauzy one-piece dresses dazzling everyone with the amount of skin they show these days, and in high heels and what they call "busa", or booty sandals which are really quite attractive, strutting their stuff... men in business suits... boys in jeans... and a ton (a ton!) of Converse running shoes everywhere you look!

It really is kind of nice to see such variety, even though some of it does seem a little bizzare, and know that those people are not going to be harrassed by others who don't think the same way they do.

The other day I was shopping in my supermarket and there was a ... guy (?), either a guy or an extremely masculine woman, sitting in a chair at the checkout area. The person had a cane so I imagine was waiting for whomever to finish the shopping. He had on some very interesting ... clothes that are rather hard to explain, but looked extremely feminine. The hair was male-short, but no big deal. He had on also, open-toed sandal high heels. Very feminine kind of stuff, and yet  not. I still wonder if he was male, or if she was female. Middle aged as well, probably in mid to late 50s.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that since Japan does not have a religious-based culture, the people here are not hung up with all of the "abberations" that seem to be such a "sore point" of many religions. You can find "Mr. Lady" here (or men dressing as women), sex changes abound (and show up on TV in talk shows), ... there is just soo much. 

Yesterday while I was perusing the shops of Shinjuku after getting my haircut, and after finding a deliciously attractive JPY 500,000 jacket/pants at Ermidgliano Zegna or however you write the guy's name, I bumped into two young women wearing kimonos. No big deal under ordinary circumstances... but in this case they had their faces all painted completely white, had braided a bunch of colourful wool into their hair (the kind of wool you use to knit a wool sweater) so had very long false pigtails and had glued jewels all over their faces as well, making their entire costume seem very unusual, and outlandish. I wanted to ask if I could take a picture of them, but I was shy.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is that anything goes here, and if you really want to try something new, this is the place to get it on without bumping into some fag-bashing, neo nazi, biblethumping, KKK, white trash punks following you down a back alley to straighten you out.

We generally place the Japanese as a conservative race of peoples; however if you ever have the chance to visit Tokyo, you will see that it really isn't so. Not at all. Aside from still wearing business suits in the middle of the killer steamy hot Japanese summers (the only country left over here that still does that!), pretty much anything goes.

Have a great day.

I love you!

Cam

P.S. Check out the link connected to the last exclamation point in this blog, if you have a minute or two.

15 comments:

  1. As i went through all the photos ( love it!), my only suggestion would be a solid colour, tight t-shirt with shorter sleeves to show off "the guns" and to tuck it in to show off a nice chunky belt.

    Looks great!
    I thought your hair might be even shorter. You still look like CorporateCam ;-)

    Maybe spikes or a fauxhawk... not to work, but at times like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen - Thanks for the compliment. I'm really not interested in looking "tough" like that. I can't pull that off. That's not my goal. That is in fact one of the reasons why I don't like so many of the photos on their website; it seems like the men have to overdo their masculinity by looking uber-tough and aggressive. I wonder why? If you checked out their website, you can see the boots and belts they sell: "I'll kick yer ass motherfucker!" Are they actually more uncomfortable with the thought of wearing a kilt than they let on? Insecurity often breeds overdoing many things to compensate for the lack of confidence.....

    Honestly? I just want to get some fresh air around my balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>> I wonder why? I <<<

    Because it's SEXY!

    Not that you aren't of course, but i think the juxtaposition of tough and soft ... is attractive...

    Actually, i tend to tuck my shirts into my low rider jeans to show off a cool belt ( i have studs and rivets). Tucked is chic!

    Just my opinion... *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you wear a midrift T? Stopping just under your chest?

    No...
    so a nice tight T would do exactly that! Or a tank top.... AKA Ginny Tee

    Take it from a chick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the flat tummy at the belly button... just a hint of the smoothness.... I have tight Ts that I wear. Just not yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see the slideshow but I do love the blue hair! Remember that Guy with rainbow hair on harujuku ( sp ) street? Love the diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stefnee - I added the photos to FB so you should be able to see them there on your Android. Did you ever get your computer fixed? Off to Kobuchizawa. I love you, and I loved the blue hair and rainbow hair diversity, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yanno, I've not ran into many fag-bashing, neo-nazi types in North America, tbh. And, uh, considering I'm usually in military communities (aka - The Anti-Gays according to the media) I guess that's saying something.

    I agree with Jen - masculinity is VERY sexy and you've worked hard to make sure your body is healthy and strong. Showing it off isn't about being a badass, so there's nothing wrong with having a solid color shirt that's a bit on the tighter side, especially with the kilt. It's not someone trying to compensate or attempting to be badass. (finding someone more badass than a Scot wearing a kilt in the dead of winter is impossible, might I add) It looks good and shows off your assets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come meet me and Ill show you my assets and the kilt in person! Im just not into tattoos, and biker boots and etcetc. I know you know the type Im referring to. I appreciate the gentler look. Thanks for the compliments, Jaime. Realyy Iwant to meet you and Smallthing again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Biker boots look better on girls ;o) Just uhh, don't tell THEM that.

    What's your schedule look like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaime - Any Saturday or Sunday you can escape... Im yours! Just pick a place that is easy for you and ST (and Jase if he can escape) And Ill do my best to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the kilt! Love love love love love!!!!!

    ReplyDelete