Monday, February 25, 2008

Another Stormy & Successful Internet Axe-Murderer's Convention

 
Shiv & Cam with Tokyu Hands all over each other!
 
This past weekend I headed out to Tokyo to attend two events, both of which I was looking forward to. The first was the second gathering of the Canadian Wardens, a group of emergency-time Canadian volunteers who were officially put in place to act in case of emergency or disaster around the country, and respond to finding the health and safety of Canadians living in the district.
 
This is important for a few reasons. The first and foremost is that all governments, under the Geneva Conventions have the responsibility of looking out for the wellbeing of their overseas citizens. This means it is the government's responsibility to do all it can here, and in other countries, to help Canadians abroad if emergency assistance is required.
 
Secondly, whenever something occurs over here (earthquakes, floods, typhoons, etc.) the parents and family members of people living here (short or long term), living back in Canada worry about us! In many cases they do not know exactly where we live in relation to where an event occurs. It is common for these members to try to get hold of us through either direct contact, or if that is not possible, through the Canadian Government. When this happens, the embassies and consulates around the world (like during the tsunami in Indonesia just recently) are requested to determine the health of those citizens.
 
If they can find them by themselves, they do so, but if they cannot, they will ask the Wardens to do a search in the area via phone, email, checking local emergency gathering points, etc. to see if any information can be gained. This is what we do IF we are called to act.
 
The meeting of the wardens on Saturday was excellent. We had much discussion, interaction, role-played emergency scenarios, and networked. It was a full day event, which began by a "meet and greet" dinner the previous Friday night, and concluded with a dinner on the Saturday evening (and drinking after). Some of us met again during breakfast at the hotel on Sunday, exchanged emails, cordial handshakes, and parted ways.
 
The Saturday late evening all through Sunday was a very windy and bitter day with my eyeballs being sandblasted down from the dust and grit that flew through the air! In fact, the wind was so strong that the Shinkansen (bullet train) was stopped for many hours. On top of that, at various parts around the country, people were killed by high waves due to the winds, houses collapsed, others were injured. It was a very VERY windy day. You can read an entire article on the wind here: "Stormy weather leaves at least three dead."
 
At that point, my second adventure began.
 
I left my hotel at 10.30am (in the cold wind) and headed through the stellar Japanese train system down to the Southern Terrace Starbucks in Shinjuku where I enjoyed a tall cappuccino with an extra shot and whip cream and waited to meet another Internet Axe Murderer! In spite of the cold ferocious winds there were many shoppers ootnaboot, enjoying the day, enjoying the sun, enjoying life in this megalopolis. I enjoyed watching the throngs, being pushed back and forth in the trains, and in the crowds amassing through the various tunnels and hallway labyrinth in the stations through which I traversed.
 
Cute ad.... interesting bandaid on nose...
 
The Internet Axe Murderer I was waiting for this time had come several days earlier all the way from India for his very first visit to Japan!
 
At 11.30, Shivdeep (known as Odzer to the 360 crowd) and his friend Takaaki showed up, right on time. We exchanged hugs, greetings, and a LOT of conversation. We spent a good hour hogging the SBX chairs, sipping coffee, receiving gifts, and getting to physically know one another. Shiv presented me with deliciously spiced cashews nuts, and a bag of almonds. He also gave me a wonderful scarf, and replica (miniature) crossed spears that are adorned in the shape and feathering of the spears used by tribes in Northern India who (to this day) are not considered to enter manhood until they behead some enemies (this still goes on apparently!)
 
After running out of coffee, we walked a short distance to an American Grill restaurant, and enjoyed lunch together. When that was done an hour later (good conversation was had by all), we walked through the crowds to the luxury department store Takashimaya and the interconnected Tokyu Hands where Shiv bought a cooking scale, and some other kitchen goods that he was excited to find.
 
We walked all the floors, looking at the variety of goods and services for sale. I enjoyed listening to Shivdeep compare Tokyo to India with the differences and the similarities. It was one of the highlights of my time with him and his friend.
 
This proves that you really CAN find all kinds of weirdness in Tokyo...
 
After finishing with the basement luxury supermarket and confectionary section (which, if you ever come, I will take you there just to blow your mind at the amazing confectionaries the Japanese really do create) we hopped on the train again and headed down to Harajuku with the intention of visiting the Meiji Shrine where Matt, Mayu and I took Jaime, Jason, and Small Thing on their Axe Murderer Convention visit to the area late last year.
 
The Shrine had closed the gates 10 minutes before we arrived (16.50) so we could not enter. Not to be dismayed, I took Shiv and his friend down Takeshita Doori where the throngs of Cosplay kids, and just about everyone else you could imagine (young) visits, hangs out and shops. They really enjoyed the time walking down the street.
 
We headed to our 360 Wired Cafe Internet Axe Murderer Official Coffee Break Hack Shop, but alas, there were too many people lined up to enter so we had to pass it by and instead, spend an hour in the Lavazza instead, chatting, and sipping and enjoying warming up our digits.
 
When we had tired of Lavazza, we went across the street and into the Condommania store, to show them all of the exciting condom paraphernalia and novelty goods that really do exist in this corner store! (Paula, do you recall our visit there? Jaime? It was a very interesting place, don't you think?).
 
The hungriest hit me (not because of the shop, of course - whew! - what a great save!!) and we walked back to Harajuku Station, hopped the train to Shinjuku, and walked through the night throngs to a delicious tonkatsu restaurant (pork cutlets that I always take everyone to and they always enjoy it immensely).
 
Several interesting incidents happened during our delicious dinner: Shiv commented that he had never eaten so much cabbage in his entire life, and that in India cabbage is thought of as a vegetable that can give you worms, just like pork. So he had eaten two foods that "give you worms".
 
The other interesting event (aside from learning how to pour beer properly, hold the bowls properly and bring the bowls up to the mouth correctly) was that his brain was going into sensory overload because...
 
He had to use his LEFT HAND to serve the beer and in India that is one of the biggest insults you can do! Everyone in India (as we all know) NEVER use their left hand for eating! Well, in this case, he was kind of forced to do so (hold bowl in left hand, hold beer with both hands, etc.) and he was finding it extremely challenging to overcome that cultural taboo that his country had ingrained into his DNA. It was very interesting to watch the inner struggle and see him overcome his desire to go running from the establishment screaming like a crazy man!
 
I loved it!
 
We had a great dinner together, and then headed back to Shinjuku station. Before I climbed the stairs to platform 14 and they climbed different stairs to platform 15, we hugged each other, and headed home. I got back to my room at 11.30, had a shower, and headed to bed. The next morning I had an early breakfast, and caught the trains to the airport. My 10.40am flight was right on time, and I returned to my home to do the unpacking, laundry, food, some shoveling, work, and basic catch-up, as usual!
 
And now that my fingers are numb, Mayu should be home very soon and we will likely head out to the sento before coming back to cook dinner, have another coffee in the evening and maybe settle in to reading my National Geographic, or this wonderful book that Sheila sent me, "Anger and the Indigo Child".
 
I hope you have an absolutely wonderful week full of love, gratitude, appreciation for all things good (and maybe not so good - look for the bright side) and just ... a really strong desire to live a healthy, and happy life! Tell somebody how loving you feel inside when you think of them, or see them today! I bet you'll make them smile. Which, in turn will make YOU smile!
 
I love you!
 
Cam

24 comments:

  1. Is that a mushroom on your head or are you just happy to see me? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd do anything to make you laugh!

    Including sleep with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was funny stuff.

    Sorry to hear about the terrible weather and tragedies caused by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. It was like a mini hurricane that hit a coastal town in a prefecture to the east of us along the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that things went well in Tokyo. Sorry that I was out of touch on Sunday. Life, as it usually does, did its best to interrupt my plans, and I had to take myself off the radar for the day. I will certainly make up for it next time you are in town. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Matt. I hope your thumb is returning to normal and you were able to get all of your project typing done. I love your thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a frustrating weekend of one-handed typing, but my thumb is pretty much back to normal. Thanks for the well-wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hat is so funny I almost fell off my chair laughing. I love the way you tell a story Cam, it always makes me smile. Sorry to hear of all the bad weather you had but it is nice to know that you will be prepared in case of a major something. We have something similar here in MO but right now I could not tell you what it is. No, it is not the Red Cross either....hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great trip,and glad you got to meet yet another 360 / Multiply friend. Yes I do recall the condomania store, what a hoot! Too bad the 360 cafe was full it has such a great view.

    What's with the Mushroom?? Exactly WHERE would you wear that in Japan? I can't help but think of the Mario Brothers game and the mushroom guy....... confused by that and need coffee.....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. how do you ALWAYS find the coolest stuff in shops?
    I luv the hat
    and the ad is cute
    I can see how the Canadian connection is important
    I would FREAK if I woke to the morning news ''3 dead''
    and wondered if you were ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's too bad I didn't put on the other one: a giant eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soooo cute, Mushroomhead!

    Loved reading of your good times with yet MORE IAM friends.

    I think you've met more than any of us and you're a million miles away...sigh...

    Somebody come to NYC again!
    I'm lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come visit me JJ, I am lonely too..... its starting to warm up here and its that perfect time of year to visit AZ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shared your mushroom head photo, with my children.. too fun!

    Thank you for sharing your adventures in Tokyo.

    I miss Tonkatsu! Its not on my whole meat avoid diet, anymore. I only eat tiny shredded pieces of pork in my Okonomiyaki, which is carby! I shouldn't have mentioned it because now I want to eat it.

    How fun to meet another axe-murderer! I haven't been out to meet anyone in so long.. I must add that to my agenda soon..

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    GO BACK FOR THE EGGPLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great time! I wish I had a mushroom hat, then and only then would my life truly be complete! I LOVE it!
    I can't wait to hear what you think of that book! I am fascinated by the indigo children idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mushroom head. Hahahahahahahaha. I am laughing so hard I can't breath! Whew. That was a fun laugh. Thanks Camashroom!

    Jen, I'm coming to NY sometime. There is something up there I have to get and bring home and I don't know how I'm going to pull it off. I can either rent a van and come up and get it or I can figure out the shipping cost and have it shipped home; Either way, I'm gonna get my wardrobe trunk. Its soooo cool!

    I'm not thinking I can drive up though and go through that traffic. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sheila - I'm betting that flying there and back for the HOLIDAY, and then having the trunk shipped will be the best way to go. It gives you a holiday, and it gives you peace of mind. If you think only of the "cheapest" way, likely it will stress you out. These are just my thoughts: invest in the R&R you need. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cam, the hat picture is priceless...you are such a fungi (fun guy....insert groan here.) Loving hearing about your adventures in life. Thanks for the smile today. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dharma, that was priceless!

    I wish i'd thought of that one... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dharma - Was it the hat? Or was it the shrooms? Either way, the thought of mushrooms, brings my palate closer to the desire for some sustenance. And on that note, I think I shall go and cannibalize my brethren fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you had a good time, Well right now what im doing with myself is trying to make myself better I picked up a cold from my 3, year old nephew ( those cute little walking balls of pestilence!!!)
    its mainly just a head cold but its annoying and im keeping myself away from work because of it and taking it easy ( and yes taking the proper medicinal items and vitamins and liquids)

    You shold have brought that hat home to Mayu, whats making me giggle are the wigs in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Also, what is she selling in that ad, the jogging suit or the broom?

    ReplyDelete