Sunday, February 24, 2008

Up To Speed, Part 11: A Virtual Shangri-la

Can you imagine being surrounded by rice paddies, 1,000m (3,000ft) mountains and in a valley with a beautiful river that is deep, fast and you can fish in or (if you are crazy like me) swim in the heat of summer? It is fantastic! Bears come down into the towns here (and get stuck in the bank), we see eagles (getting chased by annoying crows), hawks (looking for mice-meals), Japanese serow (that resemble a cross between deer, mountain goats, cows and ... something weird), wild boars (and their little babies that looked like fat, striped watermelons on four legs), foxes (hiphopping through the rice paddies at night, swishing their glorious tails) and more (like wild monkeys, mice, slugs, salamanders, giant wasps, no-seeums, etc.) when we go cycling in the mountains, or sometimes when just lazing about in the yard. It is unbelievable.
 
And the green! More green than I ever could have imagined! In spring it is a glorious neo-neon lime-ish bright green that rivals the brilliance of the sun, turning to a deep forest green in summer when the new leaves have gained experience and have tales to tell.
 
Just about 1 hour away is the Japan seaside with the very rugged terrain that is also so gorgeous. We can swim in the sea, bask by the rivers, or hike in the mountains without much effort at all.
 
I am a mountain person. Having grown up in the prairies, these mountains do something to my soul. If I am away from them for any length of time, I really pine for them (well, I could say "I cedar for them" since most of the forests are man-planted cedar forests, but that might not go over so well). The mountains are so close we could touch them every morning when we walked the dog.
 
Yes. That is right.
 
"Touch the mountain".
 
Japanese mountains are steep; very steep. You can actually touch their sides as you walk along them. It is really an amazing sight to witness, compared to the spectacular Rockies, or Euromountains or other giant ranges that begin with hills, then foothills, etc. Just ask Paula for confirmation about the "touching the mountain". I kid you not.
 
In the summer time it really is extremely hot here. And with the humidity up so high near 100% all the time, it feels hotter than a 45C dry day ever would. And the winters are as bitter, but in a cold way. Even Winnipeg winter averages (-25C) do not feel as cold as here when it is -5C and 80% humidity. With the non-insulated homes (or poorly insulated) you wake up and the inside of your house is near zero degrees Celsius (32F)! This new house has "insulation" so we looked forward for the first time since living together here in Japan to a house that is warmer in the winter but it really isn't that much warmer at all (morning temps are about 3C or 38F). When we lived in Ono it was often -8C in the house in the mornings. We had to keep the water running all night to avoid the pipes from freezing.
 
Winter of 2005/6 saw the most snow I have ever seen in my entire adult life! In three or four days we had 10ft of snow (3m). I was shoveling for about 5hrs a day every day from the beginning of the snow on Dec 12th, to the final day when the snow stopped on March 12th. We are the only people around here that don't have a carport so we had to shovel to get the cars in and out. I would even get up at 3am to take the dog out (he was sick then and incontinent), and then shovel for 30 minutes before going back to bed, and repeating it again two hours later.
 
In spite of the extreme-weather that I left you with in explanation, it makes for beautiful scenery and a lovely four seasons that you can enjoy every year, all year round! When Autumn comes, everything turns to brilliant mountain colours and I often feel I am living in a giant bowl of Cap'n Crunchberry breakfast cereal!
 
If you ever want to experience the beauty of my Shangri-la, (or anywhere in Japan for that matter), please consider making your trip in May or October as those two months have the driest, most pleasant sun-filled days of all with very nice temperatures indeed!
 

13 comments:

  1. insertAudioReply('camswitzer:video:49','upload-camswitzer-49','');

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had no idea about alot of this, thanks for piquing my interest...couldn't stand that kind of cold INSIDE the house though!!! I had to google serow...bizarre looking things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanderer - They sure are! When I first saw one, I had no idea what was staring back at me. I bet it was looking at me staring a it and thinking, "that's the dumbest looking human I've ever seen. I wish it would close it's mouth at least!"

    Have a great day.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the invitation, Mou.

    Maybe some day...soon... i'll take you up on it.

    Promise i won't feel like i'm living in a refrigerator...cold, humid...

    Don't want to feel like a head of lettuce in the veggie drawer.

    But i want to see Japan.
    Your Japan.
    Night, Mou
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen - The invitation is open for any time of the year. Just remember when NOT to book your flights, and you'll be A-OK! Have a great work day! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cam, I hope someday to come see your beautiful Japan. The way you describe it I can see it in my mind........beautiful! One day, one day.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. '' If I am away from them for any length of time, I really pine for them (well, I could say "I cedar for them"''
    THAT is why I♥U

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT is a beautiful place, and his house is not nearly as bad as he makes it out to be. When I was there visiting yes it was humid, but I slept well....on the floor where it was cool. Also there is so much green and beautiful things to see you really get lost in that, and forget all about the big flying bugs that can leave a nasty wound if they bite you...or the humidity that drips off when your running.... it was a wonderful trip, and if anyone can possibly, they should take him up on his offer of hospitality. A personal tour of Japan, how better to see the country?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although... I do suspect it could be cold (the house) because we could hear everything the neighbors were doing...so the cold would probably sneak through....just be prepared, and bring an extra sweater....socks, and mittens....its still worth it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I often feel I am living in a giant bowl of Cap'n Crunchberry breakfast cereal!" OH that sounds so fun!!!!!! I wanna live in cereal too! LOL! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see how beautiful it is where you live in Japan and learn about the culture. What an amazing place! How wonderful that you recognize the beauty around you! GL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those serow are beautiful animals. And I sure would like to touch a mountain. I know how you feel about being away from the mountains. I have always been a mountain girl. I love them and they bring me such a feeling of elation when I am close to them.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. insertMulTV('camswitzer:video:50','upload-camswitzer-50','',1,1);

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you love where you live. I love it here in TX. It seems to make my heart settled to come home to a place that I love.

    ReplyDelete