Saturday, February 16, 2008

Up To Speed, Part 5: Lost in Space

While I thought I wanted to be in this field, something strange was happening in my brain. One day I came to the realization that I really did NOT want to be in this science field, and that it did not suit me. I guess I felt quite lost because that was what I was trained to do, but not what I wanted to do.
 
I read a book in Winnipeg called "The Ninja" by Eric Van Lustbader. In it, reference was made to the philosophies of a famous Japanese swordsman, Miyamoto Musashi. I found the book in English and read it. He said that to truly understand his teachings, one should study kendo. So I found a club that taught kendo and began. This was way back somewhere in the 1980s. I forget exactly when it began.
 
Not knowing a single sound of Japanese (I was only used to all the yelling that the samurai would do in Japanese movies) I wasn't able to keep up on the stretches (ichi ni san shi ichi ni san shi) so got frustrated, and began studying Japanese at a community center once a week. We were the first generation of students (and guinea pigs) to be in that program. I also joined the first Japanese classes at the University of Winnipeg one evening a week. I was in the forefront of the Japan wave. At the community center my sensei asked me if I would like to go to Yokohama and teach at a juku for a year with a friend of hers. I had just broken up with my fiancée and thought it would be a good chance to get away from my life here for a bit so I quit my job and went to Yokohama.
 
I love you!
 
Cam
 
Stay tuned for Part 6: Turning Japanese ... Sort of
 

16 comments:

  1. Why didn't you just become a cartoonist.

    That's a cute one. You're really quite good.

    Have you seen some of the comics in the newspapers? They"re horribly drawn!

    At least i can make out what you're drawing.

    I wonder how your mom felt when you told her you were going so far away.

    Colin has plans that do not involve the US, so i'm prepared for him to fly the coupe soon..*sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually the chronicle series get boring by about #5.... I'm hoping that's not the case this time around.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not boring at all. I love learning about your life. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel... (she's starting to sound like me) My thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems a shame to stop the story now just because you worry that we will be bored. I'm not bored at all. And neither it seems is anyone else. That settles that right?

    And I agree with Jen. Your cartoons are good.

    wuv u.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I never said I'd stop, Mavis. You know me.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've sucked me right in....this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The seeds of your future are already planted like they were all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PPC - I need to replant. Changes are in the wind. I know this. And the wind is my breath so I determine the direction and the force.

    Karina - I love sucking you in! Mmm mmm! You taste just like a sprinkle of sugar on my mom's christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But Cam I thougth that you were not eating Sugar these days. I thougth you said that sugar taste terrible. SO are you complementing or insulting Karina.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am complimenting her because everyone loves sweet things.

    ReplyDelete