Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Glowing Review: Nuclear Shopping @ it's Finest

I just came back from the supermarket on the way home (a little low on meat)...

WOW...

I am STUNNED at how everyone is stockpiling staples!

I mean...

There was no bread, no pasta, no milk, no water, no milk, no yogurt, no cream, no meat in 2 supermarkets, no cereals, no rice,  no tofu, no crackers, no instant noodles, no eggs...!

And I went to THREE supermarkets!

I have NEVER seen this before. You'd think we lived in a communist country!

Even the government has officially asked the people of Tokyo NOT to stockpile.

But they aren't listening...

I guess you could call that a sort of "panic", but I don't blame them with the nuclear updates escalatings, and the winds getting stronger and stronger...

Holy Moley...

Not to mention Tokyo now has about 20X the normal radiation count...

I love you!

Cam

P.S. I hope you still love me when I sprout another head...

10 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind me stopping by. A friend of a friend mentioned you lived in Japan and I was interested to read your blogs about the disaster. May you, your family and friends continue to be safe -- thinking about all the victims!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam - I appreciate it! Take a look at the video I just posted tonight. It is complementary to this quick blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. caught the video...now for notes from a truck driver ;)
    1.evacuations mean there are now more people in tokyo.
    2.the traffic snarls you posted video of will slow down shipping.
    3.some routes will now be closed due to the nuclear risk,also leading to longer shipping times.
    4.many drivers will have been occupied with clearing out at risk warehouses.
    5.extra runs to the north to replace damaged supplies.
    6.port damage will have slowed down supply ship unloading.
    ~drivers will be pretty tired at this point~
    and finally 7.logistics being what they are~there is still quite a bit of stockpile in the warehouses and grainaries...you should all expect random shortages of stuff over the next few weeks as the system re-organizes....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was looking at the before/after vid you posted earlier...it looks like the roads and bridges mostly made it through ok.
    that's a good thing!
    i have much respect for japan's engineers *bows*

    ReplyDelete
  5. should also expect some grain shortages this fall and will probably have to ship some in,so the price of meat may go up

    ReplyDelete
  6. *chuckles*i'd be planting some beans inside in pots at the moment(in radiation free soil) but that's just me...i've got lettuce started on the table indoors now ;) ...goes to the garden in a few days

    ReplyDelete
  7. after everything gets rebuilt you'll see a slight economic upturn from tourism...because some folks are like that ;) for no other reason than ~hey it's someplace to go,and they need a boost~

    ReplyDelete
  8. My guess is that you are right on all of the points below, Shane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just listening to a report from Tokyo~said expat people are leaving in droves. I guess people are in a panic and that is why they have stockpiled, I hope the stores can reload !! Did you get anything foodwise ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dashiki Shirt Store for sale provides hundreds of Color Dashiki shirts and pants. We are biggest retail and wholesale of dashiki shirts to dashiki

    ReplyDelete