Thursday, March 17, 2011

Quick Update

* Japan's science ministry says radiation levels of up to 0.17 millisieverts per hour have been detected about 30 kilometers northwest of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.  Experts say exposure to those levels for 6 hours would result in absorption of the maximum level considered safe for 1 year.   

* Japan's government has raised the radiation exposure limit to 250 millisieverts for police and Self-Defense Force personnel to allow them enough time to engage in an operation to cool reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant.   

* Japanese police have so far confirmed 5,583 deaths in Friday's devastating earthquake and tsunamis that hit northeastern Japan.  9,594 people are still missing.   

* US President Barack Obama says that the United States will give its full support to Japan for reconstruction of the areas devastated by Friday's earthquake and tsunamis.  

* Japan's Self-Defense Forces have sprayed water on the overheated No.3 reactor of the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.  The forces finished the 30-minute operation on Thursday evening. Five fire engines loaded with a total of 30 tons of water were used.  

* Yen hit a high of 76 to the dollar today! That is amazing!

9 comments:

  1. Well the economy booms when we have disasters and chronically sick people... go figure?

    Just keep doing what your doing, and all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first point above shows for the first time, though, that the government has noted that "about 30km" (very vague... very suspicious) it has become dangerous. 20-30km was the "stay indoors but don't evacuate" zone. Now "about 30km" (which could be 31km) is no longer safe.

    Well, radiation does spread...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information. For some people who want to believe the worst is about to happen, this information will go by the wayside though. I try my best NOT to panic and overreact while remaining watchful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila - That is the BEST way to be. And thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for me. I hope I'm not presenting a panicky, overreacting situation.

    As I mentioned somewhere else, the reactors are (I just checked this tonight for confirmation) about the same distance from Tokyo as Three Mile Island was from NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Cam it does and another clue that they are maybe not telling you everything is that our President is chartering private planes to evacuate American Citizens....

    But your staying, so you must resolve not to fear it. You will be safe. You don't eat sugar, but high protein that will help your body recover quickly. And also stay inside and if you must go out protect yourself wear a damp cloth over your mouth its fashionable in most of Asia anyway, if I remember. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula I am ever suspicious of our own government these days so I don't know that the act of evacuation of our people out of Japan is a real indicator of how things are unfolding there. It looks more to me like business as usual for our government owned media's propensity to create drama and panic. It keeps us in the grip of panic and fear and makes us all easier to control. I'm not about to say there isn't a real danger, I'm just saying things are NEVER as they seem and just keep our heads the truth always comes to the surface eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also consider - they're using the military bases as the contact point for relief efforts - having tons of non essential personnel around utilizing much needed resources and taking time away from essential activities is draining - sending them home in some ways makes things easier.

    But I like drinking the kool aide ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I think most of this crisis (besides our earth rolling around and shaking a bit) is total media hype, to more scary and intense it is the MORE people stay glued to the TV and their ratings go up. I have to be honest I have not turned on the TV at all. I do quickly scroll the headlines online but only briefly. I look to see what those who are actually there are doing mostly.

    I believe firmly that even if it gets worst the human body is very adaptable if working efficiently and eating properly as Cams body is. He will be fine... no long term effect. His body will identify and properly metabolize any excess radiation so its not a big deal but makes for great news.

    Like I have mentioned before, I had 2 CAT scans, and MRI (for over an hour), and an Xray all in the less than a few weeks. I probably myself got my full does of "acceptable" radiation for a year in just that. Add to it laptops, kindles, cellphones, TV's, the Sun, hell radiation comes off of everyting, its a naturally occurring thing... life goes on, with it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. again i'm going to say it's time to bring the remotely operated hoses into play...this is going to take awhile.
    build them if you have to

    ReplyDelete